Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
davids355
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: david silvester

Best practice for backing up VMs across multiple servers

Post by davids355 »

I currently have a single server running Microsoft Hyper-V and I have Veeam backup and replication installed on that server.
It is backing up the virtual machines to a dedicated Veeam repository which is hosted on another physical server in the same location.

I am planning to introduce a second server, which will also be running microsoft hyper-V and hosting its own virtual machines.

I was planning to purchase another copy of veeam backup and recovery for that second server, but it just occured to me that it may not be the best way of doing it.

I just wanted to ask whether I should be running two separate copies of veeam, one for each server, or whether the first copy of veeam can also be used to back up the virtual machines running on the new server?
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk
davids355
Enthusiast

Re: Best practice for backing up VMs across multiple servers

Post by davids355 »

Hi guys,
just realized there is a section specifically for Hyper-V environments. I would have posted in there if I had realized.
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi David ;)

Yes, first copy of Veeam backup server can be used to backup any number of Hyper-V hosts. I do not know details of your setup, but it looks like you're using on-host proxy servers and software VSS. In this case, just add the second Hyper-V host to your existing backup server and run backup jobs using this console.

As regards the licensing question, you will need to purchase the license key that for all source hosts you're going to back up. For example, if both Hyper-V hosts have 2 sockets, you need 4 sockets license key and 1 single backup server to backup all the VMs.

P.S. I have moved your topic to the proper forum, no worries.

Thanks!
davids355
Enthusiast

Post by davids355 »

I have two physical servers - each has two sockets. Both are running Hyper-V.
I then have another physical server running Ubuntu server and I am using that as a repository for the backups. all servers are connected via LAN.

So basically I only need 1 copy of veeam, but I need to license it for 4 sockets, is that right?

If I already have a 2 socket license can I extend that?

I was originally planning just to install two separate instances of veeam, one on each of my hyper-V servers. What are the advantages of managing everything from the one server, is hte cost any different or is it really to benefit from a single point of management/administration?

PS thanks for moving the post.
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

davids355 wrote:So basically I only need 1 copy of veeam, but I need to license it for 4 sockets, is that right?
Correct.
davids355 wrote:If I already have a 2 socket license can I extend that?
Yes, absolutely. Just contact our sales rep.
davids355 wrote:I was originally planning just to install two separate instances of veeam, one on each of my hyper-V servers. What are the advantages of managing everything from the one server, is hte cost any different or is it really to benefit from a single point of management/administration?
I would suggest using just single backup console in your case, less management, less complexity and just ONE console to have single pane of glass across both your Hyper-V servers/backup jobs.
davids355
Enthusiast

Post by davids355 »

Thanks very much for the replies on both threads. I understand it a lot better now.
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You're welcome! One more advice for you - take a look at our Veeam ONE (free version) as a monitoring tool for your Hyper-V servers, it has lots of predefined reports and alarms that would help you in troubleshooting your VI infrastructure.
davids355
Enthusiast

Post by davids355 »

Wow, sometimes I wish that I listened more carefully!
Veeam One sounds amazing. Am I right in thinking that because I purchased veeam essentials, I have a full Veeam one license?
Thanks
Dave
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

davids355
Enthusiast

Post by davids355 » 1 person likes this post

Brilliant. I have actually spent ages trying to assess resource usage and so on, didn't realize I could have done all of that using Veeam One!
Systems Administrator
Qwertyitservices.co.uk