Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
borosane
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: boro sane

Hyper-V VM Permanent Failover

Post by borosane »

Hi guys,

wondering about the failover process itself and was not able to find detail data about this in docs so hope You can help.

Once the replica of VM(on hyper-v) on destination host is successfully done and put in 'Ready' status, i'm able to do failover which brings replica alive.
After that, i want to do permanent failover which should 'commit' the failover, and by my opinion (correct me if i'm wrong) shut down original VM on the source servers so
i dont have to instances and possible ip conflict (in case of setting same network settings replication).

But source machine is not getting turned off- does and how Veeam software takes care of that ?

Using: Veeam Backup and replication v8
Version 8.0.0.20.30

Thank You on help!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Hyper-V VM Permanent Failover

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Boro,

When you perform failover, the state of the original VM on the source host is not affected in any way. If you need to test the VM replica and its restore points for recoverability, you can perform failover while the original VM is running. You can also undo failover and get back to the normal mode of operation.

In a case of permanent failover, the VM replica ceases to exist as a replica and takes on the role of the original VM.

VBR removes the VM replica from list of replicas, reconfigures the replication job and adds the original VM to the list of exclusions. When the replication job starts, the original VM is skipped from processing. As a result, no data is written to the working VM replica. Thanks!
borosane
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: boro sane

Post by borosane »

Hi, Thank You on answer.

How about in case of migration, and 'planned failover', does Veeam turns off source machine automatically?
If yes, how the synchronization between src and destination occurs, does it stop it and do sync till the latest state?

Thanks a lot!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Yes, in a case of planned failover, VBR makes incremental run updating the replica VM, than turns off the source machine, once again the failover process triggers the replication job to copy the last-minute changes to the replica to get replica fully synchronized with the source VM. After that the VM is failed over to its replica and VBR powers the replica on.
Thanks!