Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dbarroco
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: David B

Failed to initialize COM runtime (0x8007058) -Case #00503567

Post by dbarroco »

Any one has been across this error?

One HyperV host and a win7 veeam 7 R2.

Often is failing the populate the local Backup Repository (on a local disk). Jobs fail right after the initial vm listing.

Event errors show either the "Failed to Initialize COM Runtime" and "Failed to initialize agent".

Only backup that ran ok was after a reboot. Other than that fails.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Failed to initialize COM runtime (0x8007058) -Case #0050

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Seems like something is wrong with the Windows Server itself. Let's see what our support can say after reviewing your log files. Also I wonder what other system errors are present in the Windows Event log, this might give a clue on what's going on.
dbarroco
Influencer

Post by dbarroco »

Meanwhile some updates while digging for more information

Aside from the error posted, I got some others when the backup does run, related to not being able to backup properly the SQL server. These are related to AAIP, so I went and did the registry update on the guests from this thread http://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper ... %20skipped and also on the sql server enabled the option for "Ignore application processing failures". The job options are set up for crash consistent. I followed these from this thread http://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper ... 18199.html as this machine has in fact a dynamic disk.

So for now I'm narrowed to the COM runtime error thing...and cannot replicate it everytime. Now the job runs when demanded...
dbarroco
Influencer

Post by dbarroco »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Seems like something is wrong with the Windows Server itself. Let's see what our support can say after reviewing your log files. Also I wonder what other system errors are present in the Windows Event log, this might give a clue on what's going on.
Hi Vitaly,

The windows server would that be the host you say? Or the 'server' where Veeam is running (that is in fact a W7 machine)?

On the host I have few errors. Just one today that the server did not register DCOM. Can't really tell if they're related, since I have no error for yesterday on the host, but the job failed.

On the Veeam Server machine, On the event Ihave mainly the two errors posted. COM runtime and Failed to initialize agent (these on the veeam related events). On system/application events nothing relevant as well
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

dbarroco wrote:Often is failing the populate the local Backup Repository (on a local disk). Jobs fail right after the initial vm listing.
I would start looking at the server that hosts this repository. BTW, if you temporary change the repository (Windows Server), does this issue confirm?
dbarroco
Influencer

Post by dbarroco »

Don't know very well what else to look for on this machine. The repository is a new local SATA 3TB disk just large enough to accomodate some retention points. The repo is set to Windows Server.

Don't have many options left, maybe try on the main disk for a go and see.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Changing disk might not solve the issue, I was thinking about isolating the problem either to the repository server/backup server or to some other component. Using a completely new Windows host could help with this.
dbarroco
Influencer

Post by dbarroco »

I got off the costumer plant...could not do any more tests. I was able to backup on demand during the day. Next time I go there I will check this and post further feedback.
ronken
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roger Onken

Post by ronken » 1 person likes this post

the only way I was able to get the backup jobs running and bypass the com error was to select Edit Settings for each of our backup jobs and run through each screen, choosing to 'recalculate' and then Finish. Once I had done that the job would start and run with no errors. A restart of services and a reboot did not help.
chajok
Lurker
Full Name: Sergey Chayka

Post by chajok »

I fixed this error by deleting proxy (that was my work Windows PC) from repository and restart a backup job. Job finished successfully via default (Veeam server) proxy.