Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Tape job - specific Vms

Post by frankive »

As far as I understand the tape job can either backup ALL vm from a job or all files in a repository?
If a customer have a specific reason to have tape job due to goverment policy but their vm is in the generic "all virtual machines" job, what is the best approach here?

Should I create another backup copy job with 7 days retention and use this as a source for the tape job?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape job - specific Vms

Post by veremin »

Assuming that I got everything correctly, the customer wants to archive only certain VMs to tapes, right? If so, there are two options I can think of.

1) Create additional backup job with the desired VMs included and specify the newly-created job as a source for backup to tape job. However, in this case, the customer will need both additional space to host backup data and time to run additional backup job.

2) Create backup copy job with short retention and use it as a source for file to tape job. Nevertheless, in this case, once the backup copy job exceeds specified retention, the full backup will start moving on daily basis. Thus, the new full backup will be copied to tapes each day.

Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Great, I think suggestion 2 is the way to go since I thought of the same thing.. :)
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Additionally, if you don't want to copy incrementals to tapes, you can specify corresponding file mask (*.vbk) in the settings of file to tape job. This way, only newly-transformed (weekly old) full backup will be copied to tape mediums on daily basis. Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Great tip!

I face an issue with that the backp copy job is running continosuly so it lock the files so the tape job wont back it up. If I disable the backup copy job it works fine, but this means a manual thing to keep up. No problem actually, just thought I would mention this for other who try to accomplish the same thing.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can, probably, write a simple PS script that checks whether the given backup copy job is sitting in the "idle" state, and execute or doesn't execute the corresponding file to tape job in accordance. Something like the following should answer your requirements:

Code: Select all

asnp VeeamPSSnapin
$BackupCopyJob = Get-VBRJob -name "Name of your Tape Job"
$TapeJob = Get-VBRTapeJob "Name of your Tape Job"
if ($Job.GetLastState() -eq "Idle")
{
$TapeJob | Start-VBRJob
}
Thanks.