Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Backupcopy job Transform failure

Post by ober72 »

Hi Everyone,

I have a backupcopy job that transfers all the data (i.e. it states success next to the vm names) but then has this long ugly failure message: "Failed to transform full backup. Terminated...... OverbuildINcrement failed. Failed to create restore point 21/07/2014

I am have a case with Veeam but I wanted to get opinions here as well.

1) As I understand it the transform is basically similar to the transform locally into synthetic full jobs?

2) It would seem then that Veeam can't create a new synthetic full for whatever reason?

3) So it is just going forward on the original (or on the synthetic full backup) that existed before the issues occured.

4) Could I have done something to have prevented this, i.e. run occasional active fulls?

5) Is there any way to test or determine the intergrity of backupcopy jobs?

Thanks
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backupcopy job Transform failure

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Geoff, please include the support case ID for this issue, as requested when you click New Topic. Otherwise, this topic will be removed by moderators eventually. Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

ober72 wrote:1) As I understand it the transform is basically similar to the transform locally into synthetic full jobs?
Yes. Though, it transforms the oldest restore points, not the latest ones.
ober72 wrote:2) It would seem then that Veeam can't create a new synthetic full for whatever reason?
Yes, it seems so. But as Vitaliy pointed out, only support team will be able to say for sure, once the logs are analyzed.
ober72 wrote:3) So it is just going forward on the original (or on the synthetic full backup) that existed before the issues occured.
If I've got you correctly, the backup copy job being unable to transform .vbk file just keeps adding increments to the chain.
ober72 wrote:4) Could I have done something to have prevented this, i.e. run occasional active fulls?
No, there is no such a thing as "full backup" in case of backup copy job.
ober72 wrote:5) Is there any way to test or determine the intergrity of backupcopy jobs?
Backup copy job does that itself, as it has built-in integrity check.

Thanks.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

Hi Guys

Here is the case number Case # 00599907

they have asked me to move the vbk to another location then create a new backupcopy job to see if that works but the production area that I work with just does not have enough space to create another offsite location.
Geoff Burke
jurgenvangorp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jurgen Van Gorp

Post by jurgenvangorp »

Is there any update on this case?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Support team recommended to start a new backup set and update them with the following results. Unfortunately, customer had never came back to provide those, so, the case was closed due to no response.

Thus, you'd better open your own case, if you experience similar behavior.

Thanks.
ober72
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ober72 »

Hi Guys,

Sorry about that I finally gave up and created a new backupcopy job as I was pressed for time and the solution if I remember correctly was to move the vbk to another folder. I am getting compile fib errors now again on the new job after about 2 Months or so of it working :( so I might have to try this whole procedure again. I have a suspicion that vpn connection drops can somehow cause this so I am hoping that with veeam8 (no need for vpn anymore) this behaviour might go away, this is just a hunch though. I will post what happens next.

cheers
Geoff Burke