Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
info@bmsoft.de
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup to tape, microsoft sql query failed

Post by info@bmsoft.de »

Hello everyone,

Premise:
I read http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... -t755.html
I'm aware that this is not an official support forum, but just a place for knowledge sharing between users (place of this kind, in my point of view, are always the best documentation support in the long run under certain conditions). Before opening a support case i would like to check if any user has solved the same problem before, because it is likely that the solution is simple but i'm too newbie to "see" it.

The problem
We have a policy that backup our virtual machines (vmware) to a network storage with disk, and after that this backup is archive also on tape.
Our disk backups are fine, but the backup on tape is behaving in a very strange way.
It is running since some months and the history shows a row of failures followed by a row of successes and so on.

The last row of failures shows always the same error:
Task \\serverIP\filepath\file.vbk failed: Microsoft SQL server hosting the configuration database is currently unavailable. [...] Error information: Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression. The statement has be (here is truncated for some reason)
Task Tape metadata info failed: Tape session is not opened.
EndSessionTape failed Client error: Tape session is not opened.

Steps already done
The sql server is: microsoft sql server express.
It had the sql server browser disable, and i enabled it ( http://serverfault.com/questions/383177 ... t-disabled ). After that, using "ODBC sources" i was able to testing the connection to it. Before the connection was not possible.
Of course the sql server service is enabled and there are two services running, one for veeam the other for kaspersky.

Then i rerun the backup to tape job and it failed with the same error.

I feel that the solution is easy, like a configuration parameter somewhere, but i have no idea. The searches on google didn' help (you can even have google, but without the right query, it is helpless), both on the entire web or restricted to the domain "veeam.com".

Just by chance there is someone that solved this problem before, or has any hint for it?

Hoping that this message won't be deleted, thanks everyone :o

EDIT:

I cannot edit the previous post, anyway now i'm trying the solution suggested here (found 5 minutes ago).
This due to the fact that our backup to tape had run in 2013, so maybe the same bug applies in our case.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup to tape, microsoft sql query failed

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

As mentioned in the adjacent thread, some of the similar issues have been fixed in patch#3, meanwhile, some might still persist till the latest version (corrupted tape headers, etc.). In order to say for sure the log investigation is required, so, please open a ticket with the support team, since only those guys are able to make sense of them.

Thanks.
info@bmsoft.de
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by info@bmsoft.de »

I agree on that, anyway i was lucky because the solution of changing the media pool worked for our case without annoying the support engineers.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Glad that you've nailed it. Should issue reoccur, feel free to contact our support team directly. Thanks.