Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pjcace
Lurker
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Paul Johnson

VCenter Service Dying

Post by pjcace »

We have Veeam 7.0 (latest) running to backup our environment of Virtual Center 5.5 and ESX(i) 4.0 and 4.1. Each night when the backups are running, the virtual center service will crash. We have it set to restart automatically and it does, but it stops the backups and causes them to fail. They also leave snapshots out for each of the vms that fail. Support wanted me to run the backups without virtual center, which I'm confident that they will complete successfully. The VCenter server has 8GB ram and doesn't seem to be running out of memory. Anyone have this issue and / or have a solution?

Thanks,

Paul

Veeam Case # 00579563
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VCenter Service Dying

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Paul,

I would check vCenter Server Windows Event log for more information on this behavior. What error messages do you see there?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Probably a blind guess, but do you have Veeam B&R R2 update (required for vSphere 5.5 support) installed?
regnak2012
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by regnak2012 » 1 person likes this post

Experienced Windows vCenter 5.5 server service crashing regularly, not during backups typically though. Found excluding the EXE/vCenter install folder from AV solved the issue. Worth exploring?

Mike
pjcace
Lurker
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Paul Johnson

Re: VCenter Service Dying (RESOLVED)

Post by pjcace » 4 people like this post

So, after checking on the few suggestions, and further digging, I found the issue. It appears that the SQL Express database for vcenter was filling up to the max license limit each night. I guess it would clear out and we would be back in action again, only to have it fill up again.

We moved it to our production SQL cluster and have not had the same problem since.

Thanks,
rogereales
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roger EAles

Post by rogereales » 1 person likes this post

I run loads of VMware and Veeam solutions for my clients. For me having the SQL database on another box other than vCentre server only complicates issues in DR situations (been there done that). That means you have to bring up multiple VM's to get vCentre running which can be a pain and sometimes not possible.

If you set the logging in vCentre to only keep 30 days this should rarely happen.

You can also run this SQL script and then shrink your database afterwards (once a year).

http://www.thevirtualway.it/en/?p=747

I hope this helps :-)