Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
johnsahoka
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: John Sahoka

Reporting the actual disk usage of VM's

Post by johnsahoka »

Hi there,

Veeam One has been installed here for over a year but no one has actually take the time to do anything useful with it.
Now though upper management has requested an overview of the actual data usage per company. So I upgraded to the latest version (7 R2).
I created a category "Company" and under groups I created the 3 companies we have.
I then assigned a company to all VM's. So far so good :)

Now what I would like to achieve is a report that will show me the following :
VM Name
Company
Provisioned hard disk space
Actual hard disk usage (as in, when I browse the data store for this machine and add up all the files)

I tried the default report "Guest Disk Space usage" but that report shows free space from inside the guest OS's perspective and that is not representative of the actual disk usage (if for instance a 100 GB drive is thick provisioned and inside the os only 5 Gb is used the report will state that there is 95GB free space, but in actuallity since its thick provisioned it is using 100 GB on my datastore)

When I try a custom report I run into similar problems.
Can anyone point me in the right direction towards what Object type and Columns I should select?

Much appreciated !

PS.
We use VMWare 5
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Reporting the actual disk usage of VM's

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hi John,

Glad you`ve started using Veeam ONE.
John wrote:Now what I would like to achieve is a report that will show me the following :
Provisioned hard disk space
Actual hard disk usage
There are two reports I would suggest looking at:

1. Custom Infrastructure report allows to define your own parameters and filters. So you can select virtual machine as an object and then pick the parameters you need for the virtual disks (you might need: "Name", "Virtual Disk: Is thin provisioned", "Virtual Disk:Size Total", "Virtual Disk:Size").

2. Over-provisioned Datastores report gives an information about Capacity (GB), Free Space (GB), Provisioned Space (GB) and helps you to identify potential impact of excessive over-provisioning of datastores on your virtual environment.

Let me know if that helps!