Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
danas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dana

Free tape after retention expires?

Post by danas »

We only keep 2 weeks on tape and have been having an issue with Veeam appending data to partially full tapes instead of overwriting them. They don't need to be erased, just moved to the free pool and they work fine. If i manually move them the night before the backup everything is happy the next morning. If I don't, the tape is usually full and the job is waiting for a second. Am I just missing a setting somewhere or is there a way to automate this? Thanks!!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Free tape after retention expires?

Post by veremin »

What media set creation option are specified in the setting of given media pool? And retention settings does it have? Thanks.
danas
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dana

Post by danas »

I had "Do not create" set until yesterday, It is now set to create a new set each run. I found that after posting. I haven't tested yet, I will tonight. I suspect that's what i needed though? Retention is set to Protect for 13 days. We have a 2 week rotation. thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct. Tape retention is applied on mediaset level. With mentioned option in place, you had only one mediaset. As the result, the retention could not take place. Thanks.