Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nufael
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: nufael

How to create a backup job and schedule the backup job

Post by nufael »

Hi,

I'm planning to setting up a backup job for my VMs but I'm facing an issue on how to configure in a good manner. My plan is to run the full backup once in a week and forward incremental every day and one day reserve for Synthetic full. My setting are as follow

- Retention Policy set to 14 restored point to keep on disk
- Backup mode: Incremental and enable synthetic full for example on thursday
- Enable active full backup to perform active full backup weekly during Sunday

And I schedule my backup job to run automatically, daily at 12am everyday

Can I meet my objective as mention above? Do I need to set my retention policy to 7 restored point since my full backup running once in a week?

Any help and opinion are most welcome

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: How to create a backup job and schedule the backup job

Post by Shestakov »

Hi nufael,

As far as I understood you are going to keep your backups on a disk-based repository.
I would recommend to go for reversed incremental instead of forward. This method lets you perform forever-incremental backup and save disk space as you have to store only one full backup on the backup repository.
nufael wrote:Can I meet my objective as mention above? Do I need to set my retention policy to 7 restored point since my full backup running once in a week?
If you want to do backups every day and have 14 restore points(2 weeks), you need to set retention policy =14.

Once you decide to use reversed incrementals you don`t need to do Full backups every week, however, it`s recommended to make active full once every 1-3 months. More info here.

Thank you.
nufael
Influencer

Post by nufael »

Hi,

Thanks for your response

My team insisted to go for forward incremental. If we want to do so what is the perfect setting to configure if referring to my plan as earlier post. We would like to do full backup once a week and forward incremental 6days a week say:

Full backup on Sunday and the rest of the days are incremental backup. I believe I might need to configure it at advance setting and select incremental synthetic and tick for selected day (6days in my case) and enable active full and only tick for one day ie: sunday. And schedule auto-run for all days to make it backup for everydays. Am i right?

Regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

nufael wrote:Am i right?
Correct. Bear in mind, that with forward incremental mode and described retention settings ("7 rp to keep"), there will be from 7 to 13 restore points stored on target repository. Thanks.
nufael
Influencer

Post by nufael »

Meaning, in order to prevent the repo size to grow bigger, the ideal retention policy would be 7 compare to 14?

Another question to confirm, based on my question earlier, i'm a bit confuse on the function at the advance setting.

By referring to my case:
- Full backup once a week (i.e: On Sunday)
- Incremental forward backup (i.e: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday n Saturday)

The suitable setup would be:

In the advance setting:
- Backup mode: incremental and tick in the box to enable synthetic full and select days for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday n Saturday ** This is for forward incremental
- Active full backup: tick in the box to perform active full backup periodically and select the weekly on the selected days i.e: Sunday **This is for full backup once a week

Please help to confirm

Much appreciated
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

nufael wrote:Meaning, in order to prevent the repo size to grow bigger, the ideal retention policy would be 7 compare to 14?
What Vladimir was meaning here is that with forward incremental mode, you have different number of restore points on disk on different days of the week.
nufael wrote: - Backup mode: incremental and tick in the box to enable synthetic full and select days for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday n Saturday ** This is for forward incremental
There's no need to enable both synthetic and active full backups. Just decide on which type of the full backup you would like to perform and select the corresponding option, keeping in mind the post Nikita has referred to above.
nufael
Influencer

ID:1022 How to create a backup job and schedule the backup j

Post by nufael »

Hi foggy,

Just to get this very clear, in order for me to do full backup once a week and forward incremental 6 days a week and the suitable configuration is to configure on the advance setting and select the incremental backup mode without enabling the synthetic full (with selected days) and activate the active full backup by tick in the box.

How my backup file will appear at the repository? Is it .vbk for full backup and .vib for incremental backup?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: ID:1022 How to create a backup job and schedule the back

Post by foggy »

nufael wrote:Just to get this very clear, in order for me to do full backup once a week and forward incremental 6 days a week and the suitable configuration is to configure on the advance setting and select the incremental backup mode without enabling the synthetic full (with selected days) and activate the active full backup by tick in the box.
Correct.
nufael wrote:How my backup file will appear at the repository? Is it .vbk for full backup and .vib for incremental backup?
Correct.