Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TobiasF
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tobias

Correct Configuration for fast Restore

Post by TobiasF »

Hi,

I have VEEAM 7 on a Physical Server and as Backup Proxy on a VM on my Cluster.
For backup I use DirectSAN Acces - it's really fast, because I have a dedicated Network for SAN Access only (Backup with 95MB/s).
But if I want to restore a VM, Veeam doesn't use DirectSAN Access (I think because it's not possible).
Veeam trys to restore via Network Mode or HotAdd. Both is very slow, the restore is running with only 15MB/s, so I need to much time for restore.

But I have following Problems:
VEEAM is always using the slow Management Network (mounts the NFS-Datastore via the slow Management Network(instant recovery), transfer diskfiles via that network...)
because the VMware ESXi Hosts are registered via that network on the vCenter Service.
Is there a way to change that, without changing the whole VMware Infrastructure ?

Greetings
Tobias
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Correct Configuration for fast Restore

Post by nielsengelen »

Have you tried modifying the hosts file to point out to the target host with the IP from the fast network (not the management network)?
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Tobias, Direct SAN restore is indeed not currently available. Though it should be enabled further down the road.

Could you please elaborate on what type of restore are you actually referring to? Full VM restore (via hotadd or nbd) or Instant Recovery? Full VM restore using hotadd is performed via ESXi I/O stack, not over the network stack, and typically is considerably faster than nbd mode.
TobiasF
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tobias

Post by TobiasF »

foggy wrote:Tobias, Direct SAN restore is indeed not currently available. Though it should be enabled further down the road.
That sounds good ;) DirectSAN Backup ist very fast.
Would be nice to Restore directly to SAN too.
The Issue in the vStorage API is still there? since 2010??? :?
That would be a disgrace for VMware ... but it's typical for the last few years of the vSphere development ....
foggy wrote: Could you please elaborate on what type of restore are you actually referring to? Full VM restore (via hotadd or nbd) or Instant Recovery? Full VM restore using hotadd is performed via ESXi I/O stack, not over the network stack, and typically is considerably faster than nbd mode.

I tried both methods:
NBD round about 15MB/s
HotAdd round about 10-15MB/s

Because both is transfered through the ESXi 5.5 Network interfaces, I will check the switchport and the configuration of my ESXi hosts tomorrow.

InstantRestore is working very well since I modified the hostfile of my Backup Server (Thx to vmniels for the workaround!!)