Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bnssite
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: James Monfregola

Backing up SBS 2011 error

Post by bnssite »

Can anyone offer insight to the following error I keep getting when trying to backup a Windows 2011 Small Business Server (hosted on a VMware 5.0.0 (local storage)) I have tried moving it to several different local storage host VM servers, as well as uninstalling and re installing VM ware tools;

Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [172.x.x.x]. Account: [NAMED]. Win32 error:Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. Code: 1326 Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [fe80::4d01:d233:8932:e042]. Account: [NAMED]. Win32 error:No network provider accepted the given network path. Code: 1203 Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. H
Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [172.x.x.x]. Account: [NAMED]. Win32 error:Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. Code: 1326 Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [fe80::4d01:d233:8932:e042]. Account: [NAMED]. Win32 error:No network provider accepted the given network path. Code: 1203 Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [fe80::cdbe:d98:bfd:729a]. Account

Here are several troubleshooting steps that have helped me in the past when using Veeam to backup SBS
- Tried using veeam 6.5
- Tried using veeam 6.0 ( current )
- Tried building new dedicated Veeam servers
- Tried build new physical dedicated Veeam server
- Tried bound to the internal domain ( SBS is AD crontroller )
- Tried running unbound from the internal domain
- The password that is being used to setup the "Quiesces" is the domain\domain admin. It's the only password that was ever created since the server build 2 weeks ago
- The server backs up completely if its powered off.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backing up SBS 2011 error

Post by veremin »

Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [172.x.x.x]. Account: [NAMED]. Win32 error:Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
It seems that you’re using Application Aware Image Processing functionality. So, as a first investigation step I would recommend doublechecking the credentials provided for this option; ensure that you’ve specified the account with the local administrator privileges.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In addition to this, try to connect from any machine to the remote Admin share and then re-run the job.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Also, please provide your support case ID number, as it is required when posting about technical issues.
bnssite
Influencer

Post by bnssite »

Foggy, I apologize, I did not submit a trouble ticket to Veeam support to obtain a support ID. Should I have done that first?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, technical issues typically require deep logs investigation, which is performed by dedicated support staff. Support case ID will also allow to track the solution for your issue in case someone else experiences the same behavior in future.
mariuszr
Veeam Software
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Mariusz Rybusiński

Post by mariuszr »

What is operating system where you have Veeam B&R instaled?
Try run gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration > windows settings > security settings > local policies> security options > "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication Level" = "Send LM & NTLM responses"
howartp
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Howarth

Post by howartp »

I was about to raise my own support case about a very similar issue, then I read Vladimir's first response to this thread.

James, have you tried unticking the two checkboxes on the Application Aware tab of the backup job properties, applying them (Next, next, finish) then editing the job and re-ticking them?

Could the Veeam developers please check that when you change username/password details for an existing backup job that is using Application Aware processing, that the new details are indeed used for the job going forward?

Veeam people, my job has been backing up live servers (olddomain/administrator and old password) and to-be-deployed servers (newdomain/administrator and new password) for 6 months. When I switched my network to the to-be-deployed servers with a new domain, I migrated some of the old servers to the new domain along with the Veeam server, and changed the credentials in the backup job for those servers - all instances of the job have reported failed since then with the same error as James above (but did backup the actual data). Having read Vladimir's response, I turned off the application aware processing, applied the settings, then turned it back on - and my jobs are immediately running ok.

Peter
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

howartp wrote:Could the Veeam developers please check that when you change username/password details for an existing backup job that is using Application Aware processing, that the new details are indeed used for the job going forward?
Yes sure, our QC team can do a quick test on this, but this should not be the case, as password change happens pretty often due to security polices and we haven't heard any similar feedback about old credentials being used.
bnssite
Influencer

Post by bnssite »

The only thing that fix this as well as a few other environments this has happened in was to simply move the guest machine to another host by migrating using the vcenter. In this particular situation I move the guest machine to another host ran the backups for about a week with out issue; then (out of curiosity) I moved it back to the original host and have been backing up fine every since.

So, something happens during migration process, it's as though the Vcenter cleans up all of the files and reorganize so Veeam can backup them up again.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James, I can be wrong, but what you describe reminds me the issue mentioned in this thread > Backup Jobs Failing Incorrect Username Password. Thanks for the update anyway.
bnssite
Influencer

Post by bnssite »

Hello Vitaliy – It’s funny you say that .. I just struggled with a situation where a Veeam server is in a workgroup backing up Windows 7 VM’s on a domain ( reason is because there are several DMZ’s ) 6 workstations backing up fine using domain\domain admin & password for the “Quiesces” without issue for 3 months. A few days ago 2 of the machines exhibited the exact same symptoms, so I agree with your statement. I resolved the issue by moving the machines AND enabling the “local administrator” account and it has been working.

In this particular case with this SBS 2011 and with 2 other windows 2003 server in different environments it is not the case. I can say with absolute certainty that no matter what password/s or administrator account/s used the machines absolutely would not backup automatically until I moved them to another host.
I manage a lot of different environments and this happens about once every couple of months. I can ping you the next time it happens, if you wish.

Thanks for all of the help !
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You seem to have had a support case regarding this issue. What were the results of support team's findings? Thanks.
bnssite
Influencer

Post by bnssite »

Yes Case #00595906
On July 3rd Jared Drury reduced our case to non priority. Later that day Michael Franz simply ask "upload the logs and text files to our customer portal using this link" | on the 7/14/2014 he asked me about patches | Then someone else asked for logs to be uploaded | etc...etc...etc...

Simply put.... support was ABSOLUTELY NO HELP AT ALL ! My client asked if paying the annual support was really worth it, and should he buy into the next renewal.

We have been Veeam fans since V5 and use to uses your SCP tool a lot back "in the day." I suspect Veeam's "growing pains" might have a lot to do with it. So, being fans and receiving "THE WORD FROM GOSTEV" every once-it-a-while, will keep us around for a while longer.

Cheers
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James, I have just looked at your case and, unfortunately, it was closed due to no response from your side, so I would appreciate if you could ping once you see this issue again.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Moreover, if you are not satisfied with the level of support provided, you can always ask to escalate your case to the support management. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

v.Eremin wrote:you can always ask to escalate your case to the support management
I just did it for you.
bnssite wrote:I suspect Veeam's "growing pains" might have a lot to do with it.
Not in this case for sure. Our support is over-staffed right now, as we've been preparing aggressively during the whole year for v8 launch.
cgipson1
Lurker
Full Name: Charlie Gipson

Post by cgipson1 »

I ran into exactly the same error posted here. We recently changed a Domain Admin account name / password, and I updated that in Veeam guest processing to keep the backups / replication going. Backups and replications were successful, but we were getting an alert that replication was failing due to a bad username / password combo.

"Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [172.16.8.39]. Account: [USAB\Administrator]. Win32 error:Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. Code: 1326 '
Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [172.16.8.39]. Account: [USAB\Administrator]. Win32 error:Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. Code: 1326 '"

I have unchecked / saved / rechecked the boxes under guest processing (enalble application aware processing, and guest file system indexing) and have also done a migration of the vm's in question. Hopefully this will resolve this issue... it does indeed appear that the password / name change does not get propagated out fully within Veeam for some reason.

I will follow up with results in a few days.... this is my first exposure to Veeam, and this was an odd error.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What happens if you click "Test now" button, will the provided credentials work or not? By the way, isn't there Veeam VSSSuport service stalled inside a given VM?