Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jadams159
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Justin Adams

Parallel Processing and Virtual Appliance Transport Mode

Post by jadams159 »

I was glad to see you all at VMworld again this year, what a blast.

I have come across multiple instances in Veeam v7 documentation that states virtual proxies in Virtual Appliance mode (leveraging hot add) will only process one task/disk at a time:

(These examples come from Version 7 Deployment Best Practices doc)
"Important! If Virtual Appliance transport mode is used, parallel processing will process all the disks that it is able to but this will be limited to only 1 disk per proxy at a time. In this mode Veeam will be unable to process multiple disks on the same proxy. This refers to both backup and replication jobs. "

OR

"Note Due to known limitations, a HotAdd proxy can process one VM disk from the same VM at a time, so it is recommended to configure several smaller proxies instead of a single big proxy if using this mode."

However I have seen proxies with 4 cores process four vmdks (from different VMs in the job) simultaneously to a repository that allows 4 streams. I welcome that added functionality, but please explain what I'm missing.

Thanks, and as always Veeam rules!
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Parallel Processing and Virtual Appliance Transport Mode

Post by tsightler »

It's one disk per VM per hotadd proxy, so if you have four VMs each with one disk, then they can all be processed together by the same hotadd proxy, but if you have 1 VM with 4 virtual disk then only one disk at a time can be processed by a hotadd proxy, although if you have 4 proxies each can process one disk from that VM at the same time. However, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that this limitation has been overcome in V8 so something else to look forward to.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Justin, I will ask technical writers to update the first statement as it is, indeed, a bit confusing. Thanks for the heads up.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

Is there a limitation when the Veeam server is the proxy? I have a job with 2 VMs, but it is not processing the 2 vmdks at the same time, it is waiting until the first one completes.
jadams159
Enthusiast

Post by jadams159 »

Nope, nevermind about the concurrent tasks on my Veeam server. The delay was caused by VSS on the server that was delayed.