Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mludwig
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marc Ludwig

Multiple tape drives

Post by mludwig »

B&R Version 8 Support Case # 00679437
When I run a tape backup of the repositories the progam only uses 1 out of 6 available tape drives. I have 9 CIF shares as repositories. I would expect all 6 of my available drives to come into play. Support told me no, that you need a backup for each repository and a separate tape pool for each. See http://vtricks.com/?p=1909. This is doable but I believe there should be a better way. I’d like to ask for the developers to look at the possibility of using a drive for each object in a backup (repository, VM, drive, etc). It would make sense and be more in line with typical tape backup. The more streams and drives involved the quicker the backup. Maybe the ability to set the maximum number of drives in a backup as well.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Multiple tape drives

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your post. Indeed, to use all the drives simultaneously you need to create separate media pools and point tape jobs to them one by one. We will look into your request while discussing the features for the next major release.
mludwig
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marc Ludwig

Post by mludwig »

So, it has been almost a year. Has the development team decided if this will be added in a future release or that they aren't going to pursue it?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Mark,

This feature will be available in the upcoming v9. Kindly, check this post for more details.