Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
egroeg
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: George Kenny

Automatic loading of tape media

Post by egroeg »

Hi all.

Simple setup, Veeam v7 latest patch on a physical server with SAS connection to a Dell TL4000 - 4 drives with LTO6.

Query is that when we fully load the tape library, we can see the media untagged in Veeam, we then run an inventory within the Veeam software and it will only register the media in the actual drives, not the ones on standby in the magazines.

We have to then go to the tape library software and manually add the spare media into the drives, then re-run the inventory.

Is there no way to just right click an inventory job and then have Veeam instruct the library to rotate through all the media rather than manually adding the media to the drives. If not, is this a limitation of the library or the veeam software? (I am sure in Backup exec it just goes and registers all of the media automatically?)

Thoughts and opinions?
George.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Automatic loading of tape media

Post by veremin »

Can you elaborate on how you inventory a tape library? If you right-click on the given device and select "Inventory", the backup server should inventory all mediums that are currently online. Thanks.
egroeg
Enthusiast

Post by egroeg »

Hi Eremin.

If I do as you say "select from the loader level" and then click "inventory", only a small selection of the tapes get read. More than half stay un-registered.

If I then choose one of the unregistered tapes and inventory it individually then it displays the following alert: "Failed to inventory tape in drive XXX (Tape0) Error: Failed to get media info for tape XXXX27"
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

George, you can open a ticket with our support team and let them confirm your environment. Thanks.
egroeg
Enthusiast

Post by egroeg »

I hesitated from raising a call with support, purely as I wasnted to see if the latest software version resolved this.

Sadly, we're getting the same issue

Please see below image - anythoghts? Exact error are:

Any thoughts before I speak to support?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The support team should shed a light on the experienced situation. It's really hard to understand the root cause without seeing both logs and actual environment. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Any chance with long erasing any of the failed media? This error is most probably related to the third party software that previously used these tapes. I know that we have a hot fix (http://www.veeam.com/kb1967) for the new v8 version, but if you are still on v7, please contact support team. Thank you.