PowerShell script exchange
MartinCheverall
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Cheverall

Running a backup and then a tape job by a script

Post by MartinCheverall »

Case Ref: 00724778

Hi all, please bear with me, this is officially my first post on the forum and not quite up to speed with the form yet.

I was suggested by Veeam support to post my question/issue here for help from the forum.
Our company is still fairly new to Veeam and just going through the pain of early stage tweaks and fixes to get it running smoothly.

My current problem, some background information, I am trying to setup a backup job to disk, and then an automatic tape job to follow, this is a monthly backup of specific systems that we archive to tape once a month on a specific date each month.

My first issue, the built in schedule of Veeam could not handle once a month on a specific date with a full back up so a tape could be done after, it was suggested I use a script to execute the job so I could use windows scheduler to control the schedule, which with my limited knowledge of Power-shell and manual in hand, I managed to do this.

The backup runs perfectly, but it does not kick off the backup to tape job afterwards, even though it is set to run after that job, I have now been informed that when exciting a backup job via a script the following jobs will not run by design.

So I am looking for options, and the only one I can think of at the moment, is run the backup job by script, and add an extra line to the script or something so it runs after the backup and starts the tape job, but I am not sure this will work, and also I cannot find within the manual how to start a tape job.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Running a backup and then a tape job by a script

Post by veremin »

My first issue, the built in schedule of Veeam could not handle once a month on a specific date with a full back up so a tape could be done after, it was suggested I use a script to execute the job so I could use windows scheduler to control the schedule, which with my limited knowledge of Power-shell and manual in hand, I managed to do this.
Do you need real active full backup or reversed incremental mode (with the latest point being always a full backup) will answer your requirements? In the later case, you can just specify monthly schedule for a reversed incremental backup job and let a backup to tape job run "After this job:". Thanks.
MartinCheverall
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin Cheverall

Post by MartinCheverall »

Thanks for the replay v.Eremin.

To be completely honest I am not quite sure what the ultimate difference is between a reverse incremental and an active full backup as far as the end result is, I was advised that an active full is what I should be using for this situation. I am more than happy to try this route if it works, I am just after a full backup on tape each month, and if this works, I am more than happy to do that.

I will test this out let you know.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In this case, I'd recommend the following:

1) Update to version 8 patch#1.
2) Switch a backup job to forever forward incremental mode.
3) Specify monthly schedule for it.
4) Create a backup to tape job.
5) Select all days for synthesized full backup. (Tape Job -> Media Pool -> Schedule)
6) Set "After this job" schedule to the tape job.

With those settings, once a month a new increment will be created by a backup job. Once it's finished, a backup to tape job will automatically synthesize a new full backup directly on tapes.

Thanks.