Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Capacity Planning - What if scenarios & admission control

Post by Cragdoo »

It would appear the MP capacity report doesn't take HA admission control into consideration when calculating available resource.

Let me show you what I mean

Our 3 host (256GB Ram each) has an admission control policy of 'Specify failoverhost'

which means we should only have ~500GB of RAM available for allocation to VMs

however the report is showing the full 768GB of RAM available, against the capacity planning report.

Or am I misreading the figures ?
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Capacity Planning - What if scenarios & admission contro

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Craig,
You are reading everything correctly, but the report is more generic and supports any kind of configuration to reserve HA resources, although we do have all necessary options to make the report work for your case as well.

We already have a special report "Host Failure Modeling" which even when you don't have this option verifies that your cluster has enough resource to withstand host failure.

Also in the Capacity Planning report you can change the default threshold to match your Admission Control Policy, looks like in your case when all hosts has the same amount of Memory and CPU resources, the threshold for full one-host reserve is going to be 66%. I would recommend to use 60% so that you have some room in terms of available resources.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding capacity planning or any other Reports in Veeam MP.
Thanks.
Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 251 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Re: Capacity Planning - What if scenarios & admission contro

Post by Cragdoo »

thanks sergey , apologies if my question seems a little dumb, this is my 1st venture into SCOM monitoring.