Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mattpayne
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Onedrive folders issue? - Deleting remote files

Post by mattpayne »

Just completed a bare metal recovery ok - (Win10 Tech Preview 9926) The machine contained synchronised Onedrive folders.

upon successful restart onedrive proceeded to sync the empty local onedrive folders back to the cloud, deleting all the remote files.

The ideal situation is that after recovery onedrive recognises that the missing local files are a trigger to sync in the right direction! downloading the remote files back to the local machine.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Onedrive folders issue? - Deleting remote files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure that this is something that we control on our side, since it is Onedrive that triggers the sync process.

Thanks for the feedback anyway!
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 »

I know the latest build (which 9926 is, as you noted) made changes to how Windows 10 integrates with OneDrive, so research the selective sync options available and see if there is something available there.

Also, you could try removing the computer account from the OneDrive site before the restore. This way when you reconnect it, OneDrive should think it is a new connection and not assume you just deleted all the files.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

upon successful restart onedrive proceeded to sync the empty local onedrive folders back to the cloud, deleting all the remote files.
That is strange. I've tested OneDrive with bare metal restores on Windows 8.1 and no files were deleted during sync. We will double-check the behavior - thank you for bringing this up.
Also, you could try removing the computer account from the OneDrive site before the restore.
Adam, that is a workaround indeed, but most of the users will expect OneDrive to sync all the missing files without erasing the data in the cloud.
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 »

d.popov wrote:That is strange. I've tested OneDrive with bare metal restores on Windows 8.1 and no files were deleted during sync.
It was noted this was tested in the Win10 Tech Prev, Build 9926 (which is the latest build as of 2 days ago). I have to wonder if it is an issue with the Tech Preview's set up? There have been changes to the way OneDrive syncs, and a LOT of ppl are not happy about it. I have to wonder if this is another bug on their end, and it could happen on any restore, regardless of backup vendor?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I have to wonder if this is another bug on their end, and it could happen on any restore, regardless of backup vendor?
We will check the described behavior aside from TechPreview version. And yes - Win10 is not even in the Beta state, so anything possible.
ninjaburn81
Expert

Post by ninjaburn81 » 1 person likes this post

A BETA software package running on an ALPHA level OS with experimental cloud syncing features...what can go wrong?? :roll:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

Indeed :D may be this will answer the question why we are blocking installation of our beta on Windows 10.