Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
spf62
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Fritsch

Scheduling tape eject and inventory

Post by spf62 »

We are using Veeam ver 8 patch 1. We are in the testing phase using remote libraries attached to our repositories.
My question is:
Can we schedule an eject and inventory with Veeam Tape backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Scheduling tape eject and inventory

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Steve,
You can set ‘Eject media once job finishes’ in the Tape Job > Options. There is no way to schedule the inventory operation within UI, but I believe PowerShell (Start-VBRTapeInventory) and Windows TaskSheduler could do this.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

And if automatic eject option doesn't work for you for some reason, you can give Eject-VBRTapeMedium commandlet a shot. Thanks.
spf62
Enthusiast

Post by spf62 »

I saw the auto eject after job finishes, but I am concerned when the next job runs, whether it will append or just pick another random tape. We want as much of the tapes consumed as possible
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I saw the auto eject after job finishes, but I am concerned when the next job runs, whether it will append or just pick another random tape.
It depends on media set creation and retention settings that are setup on media pool level.
spf62
Enthusiast

Post by spf62 »

v.Eremin wrote: It depends on media set creation and retention settings that are setup on media pool level.
We are new at Veeam tape backups, but not backups. How would setting the retention time determine if it will append to the tape in the drive or just draw a new one?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Steve,

It is controlled by media set creation option on the Media Pool. You can set ‘Create a new media set for every backup session and it will close media set after each backup to tape job run ( tape is no longer appendable). Setting ‘Do not create, continue using the current media set’ will always append data to the exiting media (unless its filled, ejected or overwritten). The last ‘Daily at’ will close the media set on the specific day and since this day previously written tape media is no longer appendable.

Since you are new with Veeam tape backup, kindly check the Online Help Center Working with Tape Media part - you may find it useful.