Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mconte
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michele

Sharing proxies/repository between different servers

Post by mconte »

I would like to know if I can share a Veeam proxy (and/or a repository) between different veeam backup servers.
I read in another message that it was not possible with Veeam 6.x. Is it possible now in Veeam 7.0 ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Sharing proxies/repository between different servers

Post by foggy »

Michele, I believe it's the same as previously: the number of concurrent tasks per proxy and repository is counted within each backup server independently. So you should keep this in mind when considering your backup load, especially with parallel processing enabled.
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom »

It was possible with 6.5 at least and still is in 7.x but as Alexander says, keep in mind how many task you permit from each server.
BR Tobias.
mconte
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michele

Post by mconte »

It's perfect, since I only need a "twin" backup server for training/test purposes only, without any activity in the production backup window.
v.tom
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Tom

[MERGED] Using 1 repository for 2 veeam instances

Post by v.tom »

Hi,

Is it possible that I can use one repository for two Veeam instances at the same time?
VMCE certified
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you can do that, but please check the considerations about tasks limit in the post above.
haennerson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Simon Haeni

[MERGED] Multiple Backup Server, One Repository Server

Post by haennerson »

Hi Community

My question is if it is possible to have two Backup Server and only one Repository Server.
I will not use the same path, only the same server.

Regards, Simon
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Re: Multiple Backup Server, One Repository Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Simon,

Sharing repositories is not possible, however you can create multiple repositories on the same server. Can you please let me know what you're trying to achieve?

Thanks!
haennerson
Novice

Re: Multiple Backup Server, One Repository Server

Post by haennerson »

Hi Vitaliy

Thx for your answer. Yes I will do on the same server one Reposiotory for each Backup Server.
Our Backup Server is directly attached to a Storage (SAS) and to a tape library.
And I would like to use two different backup server (internaly infrastructure and one for customer).

Do you undestand this?

Regards, Simon
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, please review the configuration limitations in the post above that you should keep in mind. Do you provide backup a service to your customer?
haennerson
Novice

Post by haennerson »

ok thanks for your answer - yes we provide Cloud Backup to our customer! :-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you considered using Veeam Cloud Connect infrastructure for this scenario?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

haennerson wrote:ok thanks for your answer - yes we provide Cloud Backup to our customer! :-)
Since you're leveraging Cloud Connect, you must be a in our VCP program and, thus, should have access to Cloud Connect SP private forum.

If need be, you can post there CC specific questions and get feedback from other providers using Cloud Connect. Just open the user management page of these forums and apply to that said forum.

Thanks.
Gve
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Guillaume

[MERGED] Share repository beteween 2 Veeam backups Servers

Post by Gve »

Is it possible to share One repository beteween 2 différents backups serveurs ?

Is supported ?

Regards
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Guillaume, this is possible, but keep in mind some considerations mentioned above.
Squish
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ondřej Kraus

[MERGED] Repository from another backup server

Post by Squish »

Hi colleagues,

I was wondering if this is possible:
I have a backup server A, and backup server B. Backup server B has a repository (repository B). Is it possible to use repository B as a copy job target on backup server A ?
What I mean can I mount somehow repository from another backup server ?

Thank you!
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Repository from another backup server

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Ondřej,

This is possible but not recommended scenario because of a few reasonable issues:
1. The number of concurrent tasks is counted separately by each backup server. They are not aware of each other resource usage.
2. Versions have to be identical. Otherwise it will not work.
Please, keep it in mind when considering your backup load.

Also, review existing thread above for additional details.
Thanks!
rome1423
Influencer

Post by rome1423 »

hi I have queries on this like Squish :

I have a backup server A (veeam v7) and Repositories A (filled with VM backups) in old vcenter 5.1, and will setup a New Backup Server B (veeam v9.5) with empty Repositories B in new vCenter 6.
I want to migrate (by copy) VMs in old vCenter to new vCenter using Backup Server B.
Both new and old infra temporary connect on local LAN for datacenter migration. All Veeam are VMs, repository server have physical RDM (FC SAN) attached for backup storage.

1. Is it true I can't add Repositories A to Backup Server B for VM restore/Replica Seed/BackupCopy job because of different Veeam versions?
2. Can I copy (normal windows explorer way or use shared folder on repositories A) required backups from repositories A to repositories B then do VM restore/Replica Seed jobs ?
3. How about Importing Backups from repositories A to Backup Server B ? Require to add Windows server (with Repository A) from which I plan to import backups must be added to Veeam Backup & Replication (to Backup Server B)...

from the link: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/ ... e_hiw.html
You may need to import backups to Veeam Backup & Replication in the following situations:
▪ The Veeam backup server has failed and you have restored it in a new location. You want to restore VM data from backups created by the Veeam backup server that has failed.
▪ You want to restore VM data from backups created on other Veeam backup servers. -->does it apply to my scenario ?
▪ You want to restore VM data from backups on the backup repository that is not connected to Veeam Backup & Replication -->does it apply to my scenario ?
▪ You want to restore VM data from VeeamZIP files created on your Veeam backup server or other Veeam backup servers.

4. for some important VMs i'd like to use Replica job (by Seeding) then do Permanent Planned Failover at cutover period to minimize downtime.
If Replicating Exchange DAG clusters of 2 VMs or SQL clusters, anything to watch out for in Replication job and Planned Failover ?
Any suggestions?

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi rome1423,
rome1423 wrote:1. Is it true I can't add Repositories A to Backup Server B for VM restore/Replica Seed/BackupCopy job because of different Veeam versions?
Yes, that's correct. The primary reason is that Veeam processes from version 7 will be upgraded to version 9.5 right after you add the same server as a repository to the Veeam backup console 9.5.
rome1423 wrote:2. Can I copy (normal windows explorer way or use shared folder on repositories A) required backups from repositories A to repositories B then do VM restore/Replica Seed jobs ?
Yes, absolutely. Moving backup files manually is fully supported. Out of curiosity, why not to upgrade the v7 installation?
rome1423 wrote:3. How about Importing Backups from repositories A to Backup Server B ? Require to add Windows server (with Repository A) from which I plan to import backups must be added to Veeam Backup & Replication (to Backup Server B)...
Backup files structure has to upgraded too in this case. As far as I remember you don't have any VBM files in the backup repository hosted by a v7 backup server, right?
rome1423 wrote:▪You want to restore VM data from backups created on other Veeam backup servers. -->does it apply to my scenario ?
Yes, but since you're running different versions of Veeam backup servers, it is highly recommended to do the upgrade first, run the job once and then complete the migration.
rome1423 wrote:4. for some important VMs i'd like to use Replica job (by Seeding) then do Permanent Planned Failover at cutover period to minimize downtime. If Replicating Exchange DAG clusters of 2 VMs or SQL clusters, anything to watch out for in Replication job and Planned Failover ?
Any suggestions?
There is a huge thread about Exchange DAG, but still worth a reading through. The migration process should be straightforward, but you need test everything out once migration is complete before doing the final switch.

Thanks!
rome1423
Influencer

Post by rome1423 »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Yes, absolutely. Moving backup files manually is fully supported. Out of curiosity, why not to upgrade the v7 installation?
Thanks, the v7 is on win2008r2 on old hosts, we are doing a hardware and virtual infra refresh to Win2012R2 VMs, vCenter 6 and Veeam 9.5.
It seems there is a backup vlan defined in my customer's the old vSphere 5 infra. Customer only use Veeam and no in-guest backup software.

Is there recommended setup info on:
Using a Backup vlan in vSphere for Veeam backup traffic only.
All Veeam VMs (VB&R with Availability Suite, Proxy+Repository VMs) on this Backup Lan.
1- the VMs not needed to join domain/contact the Domain AD ?
2.- the ESXi hosts Mgmt network is on Production vlan (mandatory). ESXi Physical NICs are 2 x 10G fibre that trunk all vlans.

Or on Veeam VMs add 2 vNICs,
1 Prod vlan for Veeam config/mgmt and Domain authentication,
1 Backup vlan for data transfer only ( Need DNS resolution for Backup IP range? No need gateway? )
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

rome1423 wrote: Is there recommended setup info on:
Using a Backup vlan in vSphere for Veeam backup traffic only.
All Veeam VMs (VB&R with Availability Suite, Proxy+Repository VMs) on this Backup Lan.
1- the VMs not needed to join domain/contact the Domain AD ?
2.- the ESXi hosts Mgmt network is on Production vlan (mandatory). ESXi Physical NICs are 2 x 10G fibre that trunk all vlans.

Or on Veeam VMs add 2 vNICs,
1 Prod vlan for Veeam config/mgmt and Domain authentication,
1 Backup vlan for data transfer only ( Need DNS resolution for Backup IP range? No need gateway? )
The main thing to keep in mind is that all Veeam backup components should have two nics (for backup traffic and production network data). VMs might only be connected to production network, if backup proxy can access these VMs via hotadd/direct SAN mode.
jpb
Lurker

Post by jpb »

Hi all,
this topic has already being discused but I need more details :

I plan to setup a physical proxy with a lot of cores and disks
I would like to use this proxy concurently with two backup servers , one with Standard Edition the other with Enterprise Edition.

I have read all the replies about number of concurrent tasks which are global for both servers , and I understand this,so I'll setup 20 // tasks on the proxy and 10 on each server. I plan also to setup two directories for repository, one for each backup server.

Is this configuration supported ? Especially with two different editions ? ( I have a VSCP contract)

Thank you for your help

Jean-Pierre
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Installing and mixing different editions of Veeam B&R in the same physical location is not allowed per our licensing policy. See the sticky FAQ topic for more info > Licensing.

As for your question, then given you use the same edition, it will work, but the proxies will be sharing the same configuration and must be of the same version/patch level.

Thanks!
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by KarmaKuma »

Regarding component sharing between multiple VBR installs. Would the following scenario be technically possible:

Have Site A with a standalone ESX Host and an VEEAM AiO (All-in-One) VBR install (Server+Local Disk Repo+Proxy in one VM).
Have Site B with a standalone ESX Host and an VEEAM AiO (All-in-One) VBR install (Server+Local Disk Repo+Proxy in one VM).
Use AiO "A" as BCJ target Repository for AiO "B"
Use AiO "B" as BCJ target Repository for AiO "A"

If the directory D:\Repo-Local was used for the local AiO install as Repository and D:\Repo-Remote was used for the remote "AiO" install as Repository.

I know that component sharing seems to technically work, but does this also apply for the Repository role if the shared component "sits" on the actual VBR server VM?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 519 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I wouldn't recommend to share the same repository between two different instances of Veeam B&R mainly due to the necessity to synchronize versions on both servers. If instances are out of sync, it will be difficult to predict what kind of problem you may face. Instead, I suggest to use a single Veeam B&R server to orchestrate backup activities on both sites, however you can setup proxy servers on each site to ensure optimal read performance.

Thanks!
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast

Post by KarmaKuma »

I would not be sharing the repositories in this scenario. Both AiO instances would hold the role of repository server for their respective "local" (or worded differently, their "own") AiO instance aswell as be registered in the "remote" AiO instance as repository server for the BCJ. On the filesystem the two repositories would be separated. For example the "local" AiO instance repo would be placed under D:\Repo-Local and the "remote" repo under D:\Repo-Remote...
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Understood but my statement is also relevant to sharing the same servers between different Veeam B&R instances. Why don't keep a single AiO Veeam B&R on site A and another server on site B which has the roles of proxy and repository?

Thanks!
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast

Post by KarmaKuma »

Because both sites are active with same importance and therefore I am trying to find all "pros'n'cons" for 3 implementaion scenarios:
1) Two AiOs with shared resources.
2) One B&R server at each site with local repo for BJ plus a repo server at ech opposing site for BCJ.
3) One active B&R Server at one site with a repo server incl. proxy role on the second site plus a warm standby B&R server at the second site.

Both sites hold the same type of VMs (redundant infrastructure resources). VMs from site A will never go online (get recovered) on site B and vice versa. BCJ to second site is solely for backup recovery on source site purpose (3-2-1 strategy) not DR/failover scenario
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

The option 3 looks to be the best one, for example you can leverage configuration backup functionality, configuration restore should not take too much time in case of the primary Veeam B&R failure.

Thanks!
KarmaKuma
Enthusiast

Post by KarmaKuma » 1 person likes this post

Thnks for the feedback - much appreciated!