Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sirhideo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Frankie

log shipping excludes some database

Post by sirhideo »

I have turned on AAIP for my mssql 2012 server and have log shipping every 15 mins. Inside the server I have ReportServer, WSUS and VeeamBackup database.

When I look at the sql report it shows myinstance\model and ReportServer$Instance is protected. master, msdb and SUSDB is excluded. VeeamBackup database isn't even on the list.

Besides recovery model set to full and have the account run as sysadmin, is there anything else I have setup ? I expected to have them all protected.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: log shipping excludes some database

Post by Vitaliy S. »

HI Frankie,

Do you see these databases as excluded or unprotected? See our user guide clarification about reasons for exclusions:
Excluded — databases excluded from processing. This may be due to any of the following reasons: database status is Offline, database recovery model is set to Simple, database is read-only, database was deleted after the latest full backup, registry key value (list of exclusions). To learn more about the list of exclusions, see http://www.veeam.com/kb1051.
Let me know if that helps!
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Hi Vitaliy

After checking those db settings I have them almost protect except:

1) INSTANCE\master : Failed to perform internal backup (INSTANCE\master): Code = 0x80040e14 Code meaning = IDispatch error #3092 Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Description = Cannot back up the log of the master database. Use BACKUP DATABASE instead. COM error: Code: 0x80040e14

2) VeeamBackup DB still isn't on the database list, is it by default ignored by VeeamB&R?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

By default Veeam B&R database is set to simple mode, did you change it to full recovery mode manually?
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Vitaliy S. wrote:By default Veeam B&R database is set to simple mode, did you change it to full recovery mode manually?
Yes, I have set it to full already.

But even VeeamBackup db is in simple mode, at least during log shipping veeam B&R should exclude it right?

VeeamBackup db doesn't even appear in the SQL report. It looks to me that it is totally ignored by veeam B&R.

DB that hosted in my sql server

VeeamBackup isn't on the report

How about the master database error message, is it something related to Veeam?

The transaction message is as follow:

3/22/2015 11:14:44 AM :: Saving transaction logs backup file to repository (INSTANCE\SUSDB; INSTANCE\ReportServer$INSTANCETempDB; INSTANCE\ReportServer$INSTANCE; INSTANCE\msdb; INSTANCE\model)

Property of VeeamBackup database:

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Based on what I know, Veeam backup database should not be excluded, but I will double check tomorrow. On a side note, do you have this key specified by any chance?

Do you have any error events in the Windows event log regarding SQL database backup and master db?
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

No, I don't have the said regkey on my Veeam server.

I will double check the event log of my sql later today.

Got something new tho... as you can see above msdb and model is being protected. However, on SQL explorer I don't see the DB. Only both ReportServers and SUSDB can be restore, permission issue again?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

System databases are not displayed in the Explorer UI, see this topic for more details > Where are Master, Model, MSDB in SQL Item Restore
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

...and as to Veeam backup database, then it is excluded from AAIP process by default, that is why you can't see this database in the Explorer UI. The recommended way of backing up and restoring our database should be done via built-in Configuration backup tool.
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Vitaliy S. wrote:...and as to Veeam backup database, then it is excluded from AAIP process by default, that is why you can't see this database in the Explorer UI. The recommended way of backing up and restoring our database should be done via built-in Configuration backup tool.
Good to know that, thanks. I will follow up the master db error message and give an update here.
PatrikPriess
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrik Priess

Post by PatrikPriess »

Hi Sirhideo

Just tested on our SQL 2014 and have exact same issue on the master database.

Failed to perform internal backup (master): Code = 0x80040e14 Code meaning = IDispatch error #3092 Source = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server Description = Cannot back up the log of the master database. Use BACKUP DATABASE instead. COM error: Code: 0x80040e14

Should this not be excluded by default ?

Did you have any update ?
PatrikPriess
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrik Priess

Post by PatrikPriess »

Just gonna quote my self. Our DBA had placed the master databse in "Full" loggin mode. Thats why is wasent excluded.
So pr default my guess is that Veeam exclude all DB's thats in singel mode :)

/Patrik
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct, as databases using simple recovery model do not maintain transaction logs, so there is nothing for us to backup.
leo.white
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED]: SQL Restore now log shipping is failing

Post by leo.white »

I been testing the SQL backup for veeam. I am on 8.0 with the latest update. I was able to do a point in time restore on one of my databases, but ever since i did that i been getting log errors saying that database is excluded. At the same time that database shows up again and is not excluded? I have rebooted both the Veeam Server and the SQL server. Still getting errors. When i look at the SQL server i only see one instance of the Database. Anyone seen this before?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi Leo,

Please check which recovery model does your DB use. If it's "Full" then please open a ticket with support and post your case ID here.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Were there backups of the VM itself performed after the database restore?