Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
keyaertc
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Backup Management Pack - No jobs Discovered

Post by keyaertc »

Hi Team,

One of my customer is using the Veeam Backup and Replication Management Pack for SCOM 2012 R2.
The Veeam backup server is discovered that's not an issue, but no backup jobs are discovered. I think that I checked almost everything from a SCOM point of view and everything seems to be ok.

I found that in the Operations Manager log
CoreBackupTopology.js : Veeam Backup Version is not supported, skipping discovery.

Veeam backup is version 8.0.0.917 et we are using the Veeam MP version 7.0.0.1913

Below a few screenshots
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/86876 ... 161115.png
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/95731 ... 161157.png
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/97561 ... 161230.png

Also, in the All Backup Proxies State view, I could see one entry with an Unknown Type (3), what does it mean ?

Thank you
Regards

Christopher

ps: I don't have the Support ID yet because I don't have access to their Veeam Subscription as I'm a Consultant.
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Veeam Backup Management Pack - No jobs Discovered

Post by Alec King »

Hi Christopher,

We'll check into this for you!

What version of Veeam MP is the customer running?

Cheers
Alec
keyaertc
Novice

Post by keyaertc »

Hello Alec,

The Veeam MP version is 7.0.0.1913. In the MP guide, it's mentioned that this version support Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0 Patch 2 (and later).
What the "later" means ? Version 8 included ?

Thank you
Christopher

Edit: IN the MP release notes, I found this "MP for Veeam Backup & Replication now supports Veeam Backup & Replication v8.0", so it should be :)
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Christopher,

Can you check the actual versions of all Veeam Backup* MPs in the Ops Mgr console? Are they all at 7.0.0.1913?
keyaertc
Novice

Post by keyaertc »

Yes, all the MPs are in version 7.0.0.1913 as you can see below
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/76146 ... 175024.png

On the Veeam Backup Server, on the SCOM Event Logs, I found this event: Veeam Backup version is not defined.
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/27650 ... 175654.png

So certainly, a regkey somewhere on the backup server that is not filled in, no ?
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Christopher,

Could you also check which locale and language settings are configured on the backup server? We are currently investigating similar case and we think there could be an issue with how JavaScript behaves on different locales (it sounds strange, but this is what we are seeing).

Also check MP version in the SCOM agent Health State (usually in the Agent folder, there is a Health Service State subfolder, inside you should see Management Pack folder with all downloaded MPs), you can open an MP file (Backup Discovery MP is what we are looking for) in notepad and check the version.

Also it would be great if you can check default action account on the server, if it's Local System (which is default) could you switch it to some account with administrative permissions on the Backup Server?

As I mentioned we are currently in the process of investigating similar issue and you would help us a lot with isolating the root cause. At this time we know it's not a backup version or backup WMI issue.

Thanks.
keyaertc
Novice

Post by keyaertc »

Hi Alec,

Region format: Dutch (Belgium)
Home Location: Belgium
Operating System Language: English

Concerning the MPs version on the server, I found this
<Identity>
<ID>Veeam.Backup.Discovery</ID>
<Version>7.0.0.1913</Version>
<PublicKeyToken>65c40f14a98ce59b</PublicKeyToken>
</Identity>

And another MP
<Identity>
<ID>Veeam.Backup.BaseDiscovery</ID>
<Version>7.0.0.1913</Version>
<PublicKeyToken>65c40f14a98ce59b</PublicKeyToken>
</Identity>

I'm not owning the backup service, so it will take a bit of time, but I will make the following requests :

1.Change the Region format to English
2. Make the agents running with an account that is "Backup Admins"

I will keep you posted asap

Thank you

Regards
Christopher
keyaertc
Novice

Post by keyaertc »

Hi Team, Alec,

I changed the Region Settings to English, I used a LocalAdmin/Backup Admin AD account as action account for the SCOM agent, and impossible to get the backup job discovered.

Any idea ?

Thank you
Christopher
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Christopher,

This issue looks strange, we need to get more details, we need full Operations Manager event log and then we may also need to prepare some troubleshooting version of our MP and grab some debug info. I think this could be done easier via our support team, they can prepare the web meeting session for us and collect additional information about your case. Could you open a support case mentioning this blog post and send me a case number in DM?

In this particular screenshot that you've provided we can see a discovery of the Enterprise Manger backup component, which may not be installed in this environment, so it would be interesting to check the rest of the event log.

I'm very sorry that our product cannot properly discover backup jobs, clearly there shouldn't be any obstacles for this Backup version. Especially due to the fact that some data have been successfully discovered. Backup version checks work the same way everywhere in the code. So, could be some kind of DoS situation there (composition of performance issues, SCOM workflows frequency, etc.), we need to investigate.

Thanks.