Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
trustblomme
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Tape job clone with new incremental Veeam 8 backup method

Post by trustblomme »

Hi,

I have a question. Is the following possible with Veeam?

Job A to NAS has 28 Restore points on disk and is using the new incremental method -> 1 VBK file with 27 VIB files in the folder.
Tape Job A to Tape LTO5 -> Creates full VBK on saturday with a retention of 6 weeks.

How can I create a new Tape job that doesn't write all the backup files again to tape but only the newest VIB files that are not on tape yet? (New Job, Corrupt Job, New Media set,...)

When you are using synt Full in your source job, you can choose to only put the latest backup set on tape, but this option is not available with the latest Incremental backup to disk.

Can somebody give me advise on this setup?

Thanks,

Steven
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Tape job clone with new incremental Veeam 8 backup metho

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Steven,
trustblomme wrote:Job A to NAS has 28 Restore points on disk and is using the new incremental method -> 1 VBK file with 27 VIB files in the folder.
Tape Job A to Tape LTO5 -> Creates full VBK on saturday with a retention of 6 weeks.
Just to clarify, those are different jobs, one is Backup job, another is Backup-to-tape job. Is it correct?
trustblomme wrote: How can I create a new Tape job that doesn't write all the backup files again to tape but only the newest VIB files that are not on tape yet? (New Job, Corrupt Job, New Media set,...)
You can create backup to tape job(or edit an existing one) and choose to tape copy all found backup chains or only the latest one for the first run. Every next job run it will copy only the missing restore points.
trustblomme wrote:When you are using synt Full in your source job, you can choose to only put the latest backup set on tape, but this option is not available with the latest Incremental backup to disk.
Could you clarify yor goal?
The last backup file after synt. full is the full itself (.vbk file). Do you want to copy only .vbk`s weekly?
Note, that forever forward incremental method doesn`t make periodic fulls. Thanks!
trustblomme
Influencer

Post by trustblomme »

Hi Nikita,

thanks for the quick reply.

trustblomme wrote:
Job A to NAS has 28 Restore points on disk and is using the new incremental method -> 1 VBK file with 27 VIB files in the folder.

Just to clarify, those are different jobs, one is Backup job, another is Backup-to-tape job. Is it correct?

Indeed we have 2 jobs, one for Backup to Nas and one for Backup to Tape.

trustblomme wrote:
How can I create a new Tape job that doesn't write all the backup files again to tape but only the newest VIB files that are not on tape yet? (New Job, Corrupt Job, New Media set,...)

You can create backup to tape job(or edit an existing one) and choose to tape copy all found backup chains or only the latest one for the first run. Every next job run it will copy only the missing restore points. [/I]

The problem is that my source job is a forward Incremental and only consist out of one backup chain. In my case my initial Backup job is +/- 3,6 Tb in size so if I create a new tape job the job will write 3,6 TB to Tape the first time.

You can create backup to tape job(or edit an existing one) and choose to tape copy all found backup chains or only the latest one for the first run. Every next job run it will copy only the missing restore points.
trustblomme wrote:
When you are using synt Full in your source job, you can choose to only put the latest backup set on tape, but this option is not available with the latest Incremental backup to disk.

My goal is to have the a solultion to only put the latest retention point on tape in the new tape job. Is this possible?

Steven
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

My goal is to have the a solultion to only put the latest retention point on tape in the new tape job. Is this possible?
You can create a backup copy job, selecting the existing backup job as its source, let it run once, and, then, point backup to tape job to the newly created backup copy job. In this case, only one resulting restore point that captures the latest chain state would be archived to tapes.

Thanks.
trustblomme
Influencer

Post by trustblomme »

Thanks for the feedback.

I have 50 jobs that to have a new tape backup job so this would be a work intensive change. :(

Is the following a good idea?

Temporally activate Synt full on the NAS job so we have an extra chain? If we create a new tape job then I can select the option to only backup the last chain? When the new tape job is active I switch back to incremental backup?

Thanks,

Steven
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is the following a good idea?
Yes.
Temporally activate Synt full on the NAS job so we have an extra chain?
Yes.
If we create a new tape job then I can select the option to only backup the last chain?
Yes.
When the new tape job is active I switch back to incremental backup?
The backup job will keep adding increments to the newly-created full backup, the oldest points will be deleted in accordance with retention settings.

Thanks.