Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Virtual lab appliance allow internal to external

Post by JosueM »

Good day everyone.

I have a virtual lab to verify the replica of two domain controllers, but the replicated dc are showing errors like the global catalog is not available I was searching about this error and one possible cause is the server is not contacting the time source in this case they both use pool.ntp.org wich is right cuz on the isolated virtual lab network there is no internet connection.

I already added a route on the firewall to get the isolated masquerade network and I can ping from the firewall to the masquerade ip but if I ping from the replica vm I cannot even ping the gateway that is the internal interface on the virtual lab appliance. I guess it has something to do with iptables but not very familiar with it.

If anyone could please help me to set the appliance to allow all the traffic from the isolated network to the internet. thanks in advance,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Virtual lab appliance allow internal to external

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Josue,

You cannot ping your production network from virtual lab, cause it is completely isolated. You can reach your backed up VMs via masquerade address from the production network only.

If you want to have connectivity between these VMs, then you try to use this trick from Tom > Accessing Production from Virtual Lab

As to the error message you see, then can you please tell us if you've backed up all DC VMs with application aware image processing and also if you have selected a DC role for the verified VMs or not?

Thanks!
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hello Vitaliy,

All the DC Vms were processed with application aware, I did open a support case ( 00977532 ) because if I did clone the machines using vmware and the cloned ones worked fine on the isolated enviroment so the problem seems to happen with veeam only.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for posting your case ID.

When powering these DCs in the SureBackup job did you select DC role for them? See these links for the details > Select Application Group and Specify Recovery Verification Options and Tests
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hello Vitaliy,

Surebackup is configured this way.

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the screenshot, it reminds me about this post and a tip from Tom on how to make it work > Multi Domain Controllers in App Group and Virtual Lab

Let me know if that helps!
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

Hello Vitaliy, I did as the thread points but got the same error. I noticed that when starting the VM from the surebackup or from the veeam replica each vm (DC1 and DC2) first starts in safe mode then reboot to normal mode, not sure if that has something to do with this error.

tech support still unable to provide me any solution on this, I guess I should keep testing and researching to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

JosueM wrote:I noticed that when starting the VM from the surebackup or from the veeam replica each vm (DC1 and DC2) first starts in safe mode then reboot to normal mode, not sure if that has something to do with this error.
That's expected for DC VMs. See this topic for more details > General SureBackup questions.
JosueM wrote:tech support still unable to provide me any solution on this, I guess I should keep testing and researching to fix this issue.
You can escalate your case to a higher tier support engineer. The solution provided in my last response should work.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM »

hello vitaliy , do you how can I escalate the case? cuz it seems standar supports is not getting with the issue since I opened the case on july 25.

is there any phone number , preferable spanish speaking support?

thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In order for your case to be escalated you need to click "Talk to a Manager" button on the customer support portal. I believe there you can also express your language preferences. Thanks.
JosueM
Expert

Post by JosueM » 3 people like this post

As feedback for anyone with similar issues, our case was finally resolved with the help of tech support. It was necessary to apply a hot fix related to the files that handle the VSS process.