Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Feature Request: Scheduling Full Backups

Post by guitarfish »

I know VEB uses a forever incremental model. I am accustomed to monthly full backups, for a number of reasons I prefer this. It would be nice to have this option, similar to what is found in B&R v8.

I used VEB for the first time today. Overall impression is good, but it's very, very light on features. I hope more functionality is added over time.

Thanks for the free product. With a little more features and control, I will be ready to dump the paid product am using for about 15 clients right now.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Feature Request: Scheduling Full Backups

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Could you use the keep restore points setting to set when you wanted it to roll up a full .vbk file and use that?
VMCE v9
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey,

Thanks for the feature request. We will certainly discuss that...
guitarfish wrote:With a little more features and control, I will be ready to dump the paid product am using for about 15 clients right now
Can you also help us by telling what exact features you would like to see? We have hundreds of feature requests and prioritizing is important ;-)
JaxIsland7575 wrote:Could you use the keep restore points setting to set when you wanted it to roll up a full .vbk file and use that?
Jax, smart thinking, although I don't think it will work in this scenario but I certainly like the way you think ;-)

Cheers

Mike
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Post by guitarfish »

Mike Resseler wrote: Can you also help us by telling what exact features you would like to see? We have hundreds of feature requests and prioritizing is important ;-)
The ability to schedule periodic full backups was the main thing I was looking for. IMO, this is safer than the forever incremental method, where one bad file can ruin the backup archive. What can I say, I'm old school. :wink:

Otherwise all I need for my endpoints is the ability to schedule, to store to DAS or NAS, and quickly access the backup image for restores.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks!

We will certainly discuss this...

Cheers

Mike
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Post by mattdwyerva »

Adding a note here that I wish the DAILY label for scheduling was a combo box which allowed me to pick the interval (DAILY, WEEKLY, MONTHLY).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

guitarfish wrote:IMO, this is safer than the forever incremental method, where one bad file can ruin the backup archive. What can I say, I'm old school.
So, if we remove that "safety" concern, would it be fair to say that there will be no reasons left to run periodic fulls? Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

mattdwyerva wrote:Adding a note here that I wish the DAILY label for scheduling was a combo box which allowed me to pick the interval (DAILY, WEEKLY, MONTHLY).
Please don't hi-jack the thread. However, while we are at this - I must mention that those are really strange schedules to backup desktops and laptops with :) and even for servers, daily backup is a gold standard. Nevertheless, remember that we support starting backup from command line - so feel free to use Windows Scheduler to create any backup schedule at all.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

I did not realize VEB supported command line - cool, albeit not a huge fan of windows scheduler, and used to VBR flexibility, which is a different level naturally. I was trying to stick a "feature request" note in a thread w/a related feature request, but...not adequately similar - sorry about that.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

pick the interval (DAILY, WEEKLY, MONTHLY)
Daily backup plus backup no more often than safety trigger allow to set any interval you like even whiteout scripting i.e. daily schedule plus backup no more often than set to 7 days will make a weekly backup :wink:
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

I think max interval is 99 hours. I would still think the interval combo box is simpler,imho
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Yes, max value is '99' but the dropdown can be set to 'Days'.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva » 1 person likes this post

DOH :)