Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Frosty
Expert
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Stephen Frost

BSOD STOP: 0x0000003B SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Post by Frosty »

Am running VBR v5.0.2.224 (64-bit) in a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM (4 vCPUs).

I needed to recover individual files from an old (2 weeks ago) backup today. I copied the backup .VBK and .VRB files from our USB HDD backup media to a Temp directory on the Veeam Backup server. Ran the Import Backup process. Started the "Restore Guest Files (Windows)" process, selected the restore point I wanted to use and kicked the process off.

The VBR VM crashed with:
BSOD STOP: 0x0000003B SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error.
Just wondering if this is a known fault?

After restarting the VM, eventually I decided to use Instant Recovery instead ... and I was able to successfully boot all four (4) of the restore points in the Imported Backup.

Don't really want to go through all the hassle of opening a support case, as this is no longer a critical issue for me, but I am happy to provide the team with a copy of the crash dump files if they would like to have them.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: BSOD STOP: 0x0000003B SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Post by Gostev »

This is not a known issue, the only idea I have is a conflict with some 3rd party software, most likely antivirus.
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

I had cause to want to recover some files again today and struck the same BSOD problem again. Did some additional troubleshooting. Ran the MINIDUMP file through the Microsoft Debugging Tool and extracted this bit of info:

PROCESS_NAME: coreServiceShe

That's actually "coreServiceShell.exe" which is the active executable part of the Trend Micro Antivirus system service. So your assessment of it likely being an antivirus issue was spot on.

I disabled the Trend Micro AV service and then attempted to run my guest files restore again. It worked perfectly. I tried using the Trend AV Management Console to instruct the AV Agent to ignore everything except the C:\ drive, but this didn't make any difference. So there is some fundamental incompatibility between what the Veeam software is attempting to do and what the Trend AV agent thinks ought to be happening.

I have opened a support case and will hand over all relevant logs and analysis, just in case anything can be done about it from the Veeam end of things. But there probably isn't anything which can be done, and I seriously doubt whether I can get Trend interested in the case (but I will try).

In the meantime, the workaround for me is to (a) manually disable the Trend AV service; (b) run the guest files restore; and (c) restart the AV service again.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Thank you very much for taking time to post an update, Stephen.
Frosty
Expert

Post by Frosty »

You are most welcome. And I have a further positive update to report:

Based on recommendations from Veeam Support, I have configured the Trend Antivirus Management Console so that files with extension .VMDK are excluded from scanning on my Veeam Backup Server.

This has fixed the BSOD problem and I am happy enough that this is a permanent fix to my problems with BSOD crashes.
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Post by pcrebe »

Thank you Frosty,
i've also added these extensions:
VBK
VIB
VRB
and the folder that contain my backups.

Bye
glennopayne
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Glenn Payne

Post by glennopayne »

thanks a million... this worked a treat stupid Trend Micro must get rid of this rubbish
BriFar
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Brian Farrugia

Post by BriFar »

Thanks Frosty.
It worked perfectly.
You need to make sure to put the exceptions in the Extensions box. Putting *.vmdk did not work under files.
I am writing this for the people not familiar with Trend Micro....like myself :)