Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Veeam Server on Subnet & Proxy on another Subnet

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
Veeam Server:
pNIC-0 beside vSphere Management on different subnet 172.16.x.x
pNIC-1 beside production network on 192.168.10.x

Other proxies and Repository servers are located on 172.16.x.x network.
Is it possible to add another proxy to set beside the Production network on 192.168.10.x ?

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Server on Subnet & Proxy on another Subnet

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, why not? Your backup server has two network interfaces and if you're able to access your production network from the backup server, then you can deploy additional proxy servers that will belong to 192.168.10.x network.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hi,

Code: Select all

11/29/2012 2:22:50 PM :: No available proxies are running on ESX(i) management interface subnet. Using proxy from a different subnet, performance may be impacted.
But whenever I run the job that targeting the proxy on my production, I was getting DNS error, I made sure Name resolution is perfect and in additional to that I added the proxy name/IP into etc file in Veeam Server and Added the Veeam Server name/IP in etc file as well.

11/29/2012 1:10:08 PM :: Error: Client error: This is usually a temporary error during hostname resolution and means that the local server did not receive a response from an authoritative server
I removed the server and I added it by IP only and I'm getting

11/29/2012 2:24:06 PM :: Error: Client error: Failed to connect to the port [192.168.10.91:2501].
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Just to highlight why I'm doing this;

I'm doing this to try putting HotAdd proxy from production which is beside the Exchange Server at least/may be I will get rid of the VSS Error I'm encounter.

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

11/29/2012 2:22:50 PM :: No available proxies are running on ESX(i) management interface subnet. Using proxy from a different subnet, performance may be impacted.
You can ignore this message, since this proxy is deployed within the same site and the performance shouldn't be impacted.

11/29/2012 2:24:06 PM :: Error: Client error: Failed to connect to the port [192.168.10.91:2501].
It looks like a firewall issue to me, unrelated to the proxy server location.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Vitaliy S. wrote: It looks like a firewall issue to me, unrelated to the proxy server location.
I have added 2500-5001 in the Proxy as TCP and UDP and same in the Veeam Server.. But it didn't work :(

Is there any other ports I have to add? i have even allowed everything in all firewall profiles.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is an existing discussion with the same error message, please take a look: Failed to connect to port (Server:2501)

P.S. the required ports list can be found in our User Guide, might be worth double-checking if you have configured everything correct.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Under Backup Infrastructure -> Microsoft Windows when I right click on the proxy server -> Ports and Rescan ports 6160 & 6162 it rescan them without any issue.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Vitaliy S. wrote:There is an existing discussion with the same error message, please take a look: Failed to connect to port (Server:2501)

P.S. the required ports list can be found in our User Guide, might be worth double-checking if you have configured everything correct.
Hello, This post didn't help.. I have tried all the possible tricks mentioned.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

In this case please contact our support team and let one of our engineers verify your setup.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

habibalby wrote: I'm doing this to try putting HotAdd proxy from production which is beside the Exchange Server at least/may be I will get rid of the VSS Error I'm encounter.
Since the Veeam server itself performs the VSS (not the proxy) I have no idea how this could possibly help this problem.

Regarding the actual problem you are asking about (proxy on another subnet), can you access your Mgmnt network from the Production network or are they totally isolated? Proxies must be able to communicate with the ESXi hosts and the vCenter server.
habibalby
Veteran

Post by habibalby »

Hello,
Thanks Tom for you replay, the vSphere Mgmnt network is totally isolated from any other network. Since the proxy must reach the ESXi/vCenter, in this case this logic will not work for me.

I just read in one of the forums that by placing proxy server beside the Exchange Server, the VSS error will go away.. I don't know if it's right or wrong.

Thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Proxy server placement shouldn't have any effect on the Exchange Server VSS freeze operations, at least I do not see how it can help in solving VSS issues.