Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Savashopress
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Veeam backup (PrepStorageForWriteEx Failed (Z:\backups......

Post by Savashopress »

Hello all,

Im having a serious issue here. The backup for a location in singapore has failed now for 5 day's in a row. (was on holiday and no one was obviously checking the backup logs)

I had the error message with ........oib.. something.. i searched for the most common way to solve this problem and that was according to the forum: recreate the job.

So i deleted the job, recreated it, pointed it to the same repository, and said run the job. Now i get the message: PrepStorageForWriteEx Failed (Z:\backup\........)

I know that if i have an issue i should add the case id. But the person that has all the information about the backup is on holiday and i have no clue what our custumor id is etc. to make an official support request.

I have tried several things:

1. delete job and recreate it with same repository.
2. delete job and recreate it with a different repository (but on same server)
3. delete job and recreate it with a different repository (removed old files)

But it stops with the message: PrepStorageForWriteEx Failed (Z:\backup\........) Client Error: incorrect function. Failed to create or open file Z:\backup etc...

I think it could be something to do with rights but im using the same account for all backups and after looking at the other repositories i didnt see any user specific rights being given.

Is there anyone out there that could help me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam backup (PrepStorageForWriteEx Failed (Z:\backups..

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

I’m wondering what version of VB&R you’re using.

As to the issue, it seems to be an environmental one, most likely related to backup server or storage repository itself. So, as a first investigation step, it might be worth temporarily backing up to different storage/location and seeing whether this issue can be reproduced or cannot.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

If you don't know your customer ID, that is no problem. Please, open a support case by phone, and they will look up your customer ID in our system using your company name or email address domain.

It does sound like a backup storage issue though.

Thanks!
Savashopress
Influencer

Post by Savashopress »

Ok, will try to use a different storage location and see what it does. And thx for the heads up Gostev. will do so if i cant tackle the problem.

Oow, and It's version 6.5
Savashopress
Influencer

Post by Savashopress »

It was indeed the storage. We have a QNAP attached to the esx host in singapore. After i rebooted the server to wich we had attached the storage it gave the message that it couldnt find the QNAP nas disc. Im troubleshooting that now and in the meantime i've created another repository (workaround). @ 2pm gmt+1 i can try to see if i will run now.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Kindly keep us updated about further results you get. Should this error repeat on a different storage, don’t hesitate to open a support case by phone, as mentioned above.

Thanks.
Savashopress
Influencer

Post by Savashopress »

Will do so.

Yw
Savashopress
Influencer

Post by Savashopress » 1 person likes this post

Well in the end it was the storage. Nothing to do with Veeam on its own. The esx host had lost his connection to the NFS datastore (volume on a Qnap NAS). After we had reset the QNAP and reconnected everything the backup ran as it used to run. Half way through the backup now so i reckon all is fine again.

Kudos to the repliers wich helped me alot.