Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
howesh
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Harry Howes

Backup Copy never starts

Post by howesh »

I have one VM that is in a Backup Copy job. Every time it starts, it stops and reports "Restore point is located in backup file with different block size". It is the only VM in the job and it is a newly created Backup Job, so no data has been transferred yet. So far the job has not run successfully.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy never starts

Post by foggy »

Harry, there seems to be an issue with the backup copy job: if the corresponding backup job has block size different from the default one and if VMs are added to the backup copy job from the virtual infrastructure, the job could fail with the mentioned error. To work around this, you could either temporarily disable backup copy job, remove all files it has created (via Backup node in the Veeam B&R console), and re-enable it or just re-create the backup copy from scratch adding VMs from the backup job (instead of VI). Thanks.
audiobog
Novice
Full Name: Bent Gjersvik

Post by audiobog »

Seems like trying to Copy from a Datadomain repository gives the same error message. "Restore point is located in backup file with different block size".
-- BentG
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Bent, have you already tried the workaround mentioned? Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Try not to use different storage optimization settings (aka block size) across different backup jobs to avoid this issue.
audiobog
Novice
Full Name: Bent Gjersvik

Post by audiobog »

Hi, Sorry for the late reply!

I've tried the workaround on the job with Datadomain repository. No success. Made another job to Windows disks instead: no problems at all. Same settings in both jobs. I'll try without any compression or inline dedup to the DD and see what happens.
-- BentG
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Compression or dedupe settings are irrelevant to this, so don't bother wasting time on this experiment.
The only thing relevant to this issue is storage optimization setting (Local/LAN/WAN) in Veeam job.
joerg.hermanns
Influencer
Full Name: Joerg Hermanns

[MERGED] Restore point is located in backup file with differ

Post by joerg.hermanns »

Hello everyone,

when trying to do a "backup copy job" to an offsite location (Windows 2012 with local disks) i am getting the following in the logfile and nothing happens:

Restore point is located in backup file with different block size. VM: 'NS02', ID: 'a2e4fa1f-8b72-48ea-a547-a8c513430a87' Ref: 'vm-176'

Can someone shed a light on what excactly is causing this message and how i can fix that?

Regards and thanks
Joerg
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Joerg, please review the posts above for explanation and feel free to ask for any additional clarifications, if needed.
joerg.hermanns
Influencer
Full Name: Joerg Hermanns

Post by joerg.hermanns »

Sorry - but i still do not get it.
Where excactly do i have to change that ? I know i can change it on the Job itself - but where can i modify that for the Backup-Copy-Job?
A small hint would be helpful ;)

Regards
Joerg
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can disable backup copy job, delete files already created by it (delete from disk) and enable backup copy job again. This way, backup copy job will create restore points at remote location with the exact block size used by original backup job. Otherwise, recreate a backup copy job from the scratch. Thanks.
skramjet
Lurker
Full Name: Mark Smits

Post by skramjet »

This doesn't work. I have 2 machines, each with their optimisation set to LAN target instead of local. When the backup copy jobs are created (new backup copy jobs). They set it 'restore point is located in backup file with different block size'.

I have tried changing the optimisation settings for the jobs to Local target, but the same error still occurs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Mark, how do you add VMs to the newly created backup copy jobs? From the backup job or from virtual infrastructure/backup repository?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

What happens here (unless you are running into some kind of bug) is some other VMs included in the backup copy are backed up by the job with different block size than these two VMs. If you open a support case, they will be able to tell you which exactly after reviewing the logs. Thanks!
paul2kl
Lurker

Post by paul2kl »

I have the same issue as you. Did you upgrade to Veeam 7 ? If so were the backups jobs created in Veeam 6.5. Then you tried to use the backup copy job in veeam 7, and it never starts. This is the issue I have.
I had to re-create the backup job in veeam 7 and then do the backup copy job ( Now it all works). But there is no way I am going to re-create all the backup jobs so I have logged a call with Support to see what can be done to get this working.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Paul, what storage optimization setting do you have on your existing backup jobs? What is your support case number?
paul2kl
Lurker

Post by paul2kl »

Hi
Case # 00444535

I have noted that the backups when they were setup on 6.5 were all set to Lan Target with compression set to Optimal. However since upgrade to version 7 the compression settings have changed to High on every backup job. Seems strange that the upgrade of versions should do this...

Thanks,
Paul
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

v7 has the new compression algorithm for Optimal compression, check out the What's New document.
Basically, v7 High compression = v6 Optimal compression, so upgrade simply preserved your settings.
skramjet
Lurker
Full Name: Mark Smits

Post by skramjet »

Hi Foggy, I added the VMs from the job.

I too upgraded from 6.5 to 7 if that makes any difference
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

skramjet wrote:I have tried changing the optimisation settings for the jobs to Local target, but the same error still occurs.
Changing optimization settings for the job takes effect after performing a new full only.
skramjet wrote:Hi Foggy, I added the VMs from the job.
Do you probably have VMs from different backup jobs in a single backup copy job?

Anyway, more effective way to address the issue would be contacting support directly.