PowerShell script exchange
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

How do you even get powershell to work with veeam?

Post by kjstech »

Hello,
Server 2012 R2 VM here with Veeam 8.0.0.917 installed.
I tried running PowerShell and PowerShell (x86) both normally and also right click run as administrator.
I cannot add the snapin VeeamPSSnapIn. It says No snap-ins have been registered for Windows PowerShell version 4.

I found a kb article how to install the power shell component so I ran BPS_x64.msi from the veeam iso\backup folder. It said it installed but I still cannot run powershell veeam commands or add the snap-in. I then ran that BPS_x64.msi installer again and choose the repair option (so obviously it thinks its installed because now it gives me a repair option). Still nothing.

I really need power shell to work with Veeam so I can change the block size on backup copy jobs to mitigate a bug with v8 and backup copy job not detecting the proper block size.

Thank you.
RRidge
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Re: How do you even get powershell to work with veeam?

Post by RRidge »

I'm running into the same problem. This is on a 2012 R2 Server with PowerShell 4, Veeam 7. If I try to register the Veeam.Backup.PSService.dll manually using installutil from .NET 4, it tells me there's "no public installers with the runinstallerattribute" if that helps.

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the PowerShell SDK component a couple of times, but still get the "no snap-ins have been registered with PowerShell version 4 error when I try to add the snap-in to check backup statuses. We've got is successfully running on a dozen other Veeam installs, so I'm not sure what's different about this one.
RRidge
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by RRidge » 1 person likes this post

My first reply stating I have the same problem hasn't been approved yet, but I've found an answer. On two 2012 R2 boxes, one with Veeam 7 and the other on Veeam 8, I opened the Veeam application and clicked on the PowerShell icon in the left menu. This opened PowerShell, registered the Veeam snap-in, and let me run the get-vbr commands like it should. Now the snap-in is registered across the board, and the automated scripts I use to check backups are working on both these machines.
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Post by kjstech »

Thank you! That worked!

I would consider this a bug for sure.