PowerShell script exchange
cramry
Novice
Liked: never

Powershell help with custom File Copy Job

Post by cramry »

Hello All,

New to Veeam and the forums and am hoping for a little guidance. I have a need for the following, (any assistance, advice, etc, would be greatly appreciated) I need a file copy job to grab a .vbk file from one of my backups (reverse incremental) and move it to another location. I can easily achieve this, however I do not want to grab the entire backup folder, just the full .vbk file. The file copy job will be set to start right after the actual backup job finishes, but will need to be modified to grab the newly changed .vbk file. Is this something that powershell can help me with, perhaps write a script that runs post backup job completion, modifies the file copy to grab the newly changed .vbk file, at which point the file copy job kicks in? I've tried the backup copy job, however with the time it takes for transformations and such, not feasible. Thanks for any and all help, and as someone who came from Backup Exec, Veeam rocks, very happy with the product!

Sincerely,

Cramry
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Powershell help with custom File Copy Job

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Cramry,

Yes, you can use a PowerShell script to locate the latest VBK file and then copy it to the offsite location/any other destination. Check out a similar topic for the script example > Copy to tape vbk selection from backup copy job
Cramry wrote: I've tried the backup copy job, however with the time it takes for transformations and such, not feasible.
Can you please clarify what kind of issues did you have? What was your destination target device? How was everything configured?

Thank you!
cramry
Novice

Post by cramry »

Hello Vitaliy,

Thank you very much for the link, I will check it out immediately. To answer your question, the only issue I had was due to the amount of time it took the backup copy job to copy the data over the WAN and perform the transformation. My destination target is a CIF share on HP D2D. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hmm...did you use WAN accelerators to optimize the traffic?
cramry
Novice

Post by cramry »

I would love too, however we don't own Enterprise Plus yet....once we re-up our license later this year, that will be top priority.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! Enterprise plus is the way to go! :)

Just another tip for direct backup copy jobs configuration (in case you decide to re-evaluate them again). When you use CIFS shares as destination targets, you need to configure a "proxying" server at the remote location to keep all the rebuilt traffic locally (not sure you did that or not). This would allow you to speed up the transform process.
cramry
Novice

Post by cramry »

I did not know that, I'll give that test as well. Again I cannot thank you enough!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You're welcome! Let us know how your testing goes.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, it's not possible to change the "source" setting of file copy job via PS, so, you can use Robocopy utility, instead. Also, there is another topic that covers different PS use cases; might be helpful for you.

Anyway, as Vitaliy has rightly pointed out, you'd better understand the root cause of backup copy job poor performance first, and only then return to the PS as the last resort.

Thanks.