Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
btr402
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Uli B.

b2tjob after failure - manual start only copies failed tasks

Post by btr402 »

Dear,

Seldom we are having failed b2t-jobs with fatal error from tape (Case-ID 00554811)

Normally this is no problem because I can start the job manually to the same tape. I never had a closer look when I did so but today I did and noticed that in this run only the files(s) from the failed task (our fileserver) are copied to tape and not the two other tasks that are also configured in this job including our other virtual machines.

As I was interested what happens when I start the b2t-job a second time manually, I did so. This time only the two other tasks (all other virtual machines) but not the third task of our fileserver that was executed right before were copied to tape. The third manual start of the job only copies the fileserver-task to tape. I assume this alternating behaviour will continue on and on each time I start the b2t-job manually.

Normally I expect a job to be run as configured and not only parts of it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: b2tjob after failure - manual start only copies failed t

Post by veremin »

Can you tell whether the other two servers were copied properly to tape during initial session? Or the session failed immediately on the third server and during the retry VB&R tried to copy only the third server, disregarding the other two? Thanks.
btr402
Novice

Post by btr402 »

Hello Vladimir,
To clarify a little bit: we have three b2d-jobs
- one including our Linux-machines
- one including our fileserver (separated because it contains app. 1TB of data)
- one including all of our other windows-machines.

The Initial b2t-session copied the Linux-Task and the Windows-Task successful to tape (according to Email) and failed for the fileserver-task with "Tape fatal error" "Error code: 1167 "
When starting the job manually to the same tape only the fileserver task is copied to tape. Starting the job again to same tape, only Linux- and Windows-Machines are copied to tape, starting a third time manually only copies the fileserver to tape again.

Logfiles for this behaviour were put on your ftp-Server some minutes ago under case-id stated above. A supporter named Julia requested them.

Thanks for your support and bye

Uli
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What product version you're currently using? Also, could it happen that during retry operation (when the backup to tape job was copying third "failed" job) the remaining jobs created new restore points that were copied then by backup to tape job? Thanks.
btr402
Novice

Post by btr402 »

Hello Vladimr,
we are using Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0.0.839 at present.

Our three b2d-jobs (reverse incremental) are running only once a day and have starting times of
2100 Linux-Servers
2200 Windows-Servers
2300 Fileserver
The b2t-job is linked to the last job of our fileserver and starts right after this job is finished. When I look at the file-change-times of all .vbk and .vbm-files in the folders on my harddisk, they all show ending times from yesterdays backup and are not newer.

Bye

Uli
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks for providing additional information. Then, I have to say that the described behavior looks unexpected, as the backup to tape job should archive only new or previously uncopied data. Please, keep working with the support team. Most likely, corresponding logs will shed a light on this situation.