Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Blacktronix
Lurker
Liked: never

Continuous Snapshots & Tape Backup

Post by Blacktronix »

Hi guys,

I have a "problem" that I wasn't able to resolve by myself or by browsing the community forum...

We are switching a few customers of ours from Microsoft Data Protection Manager to VEEAM Backup and Replication because of cost concerns and we've already rolled out a few tinier VEEAM B&R infrastructues to SMEs.

In DPM we had the functionality to create continous snapshots of the VMs every couple minutes or hours (most likely every hour thoughout the day (8AM to 6PM) and write the result of these incrementals to tape every day. Now we would like to rebuild this "method" in VEEAM... How would this most likely work?

My guess is a Reverse Incremental Job (every 2 to 4 Hours from 8AM to 6PM) and a Tape Job everyday at 10PM. Or is there any other solution to do this?

Many thanks...

Best Regards from Austria
Jay
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Continuous Snapshots & Tape Backup

Post by veremin »

Backup job running every X hours seems like the way to go. The actual value of X depends on your company requirements. (RPO/RTO). As to backup mode, be aware that with reversed incremental mode the latest point is always a full backup that will be written to tape on daily basis.

Thanks.