Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Feature request - Files to tape jobs ...

Post by Didi7 »

Could you please add the following functions ...

1) the possibility to start tape jobs after the end of a disk job, just as i can do in disk jobs (great feature btw)
2) the possibility to start tape jobs after the end of tape jobs
3) the possibility to filter out directories or file-types in tape jobs, e.g. when selecting drives or parent directories
4) the possibility to declare a slot in a library as cleaning media slot and be able to clean drives with Veeam
5) the possibility to define, what kind of tape media can be used in what kind of tape drive (using other generations)

Thanks,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request - Files to tape jobs ...

Post by Dima P. »

the possibility to start tape jobs after the end of a disk job, just as i can do in disk jobs (great feature btw)
It is available as a part of backup archiving in backup to tape jobs. If I am not mistaken it is available in the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions
the possibility to start tape jobs after the end of tape jobs
Could you elaborate the use case of this feature?
the possibility to filter out directories or file-types in tape jobs, e.g. when selecting drives or parent directories
I am not sure I understood this one, could you please elaborate as well.
the possibility to declare a slot in a library as cleaning media slot and be able to clean drives with Veeam
Yes, we have it in our long-term feature list. I hope, that we will get to this feature someday
the possibility to define, what kind of tape media can be used in what kind of tape drive (using other generations)
Most of the libraries support partitioning, so this could be configured thru the library UI itself, but this is a good one – thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Regarding #3 are you referring to the exclusions?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are you talking here about files to tape job? If so, most of goals you're talking about can be achieved via PowerShell snap-in. For instance, a files to tape job can be started after a source backup job finishes via simple script being specified as post backup job activity:

Code: Select all

Get-VBRJob -name "Name of your Tape Job" | Start-VBRJob
If you need any assistance with scripting, feel free to create a topic in the corresponding subforum.

Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

the possibility to start tape jobs after the end of a disk job, just as i can do in disk jobs (great feature btw)
It is available as a part of backup archiving in backup to tape jobs. If I am not mistaken it is available in the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus Editions
Yes, I know, I use the Enterprise Edition, but I would like to use this scheduling type in 'Files to Tape' Jobs as well and via GUI, not via Powershell. Thanks.
the possibility to start tape jobs after the end of tape jobs
Could you elaborate the use case of this feature?
I would like to schedule 2 tape jobs for 2 different companies. Each company should have their data on their own tape and I would like to start the 2nd tape job immediately after the 1st tape job, otherwise I risk, that the 2nd tape job is not executed, if the 1st one is still running or does the 2nd one wait till the 1st one finishes? The upper mentioned scheduling type (available in disk Jobs) would make it less fuzzy. Thanks.
the possibility to filter out directories or file-types in tape jobs, e.g. when selecting drives or parent directories
I am not sure I understood this one, could you please elaborate as well.
I would like to exclude files or directories from tape jobs, not only including files or directories. Thanks.
the possibility to declare a slot in a library as cleaning media slot and be able to clean drives with Veeam
Yes, we have it in our long-term feature list. I hope, that we will get to this feature someday
Yes, hopefully! Makes tape Administration much more convenient, instead of using different software. Thanks.
the possibility to define, what kind of tape media can be used in what kind of tape drive (using other generations)
Most of the libraries support partitioning, so this could be configured thru the library UI itself, but this is a good one – thank you.
As you know, this is something already available in other backup products and would be nice to be included in Veeam B&R as well, to make it more complete and competitive. Thanks.
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I would like to schedule 2 tape jobs for 2 different companies. Each company should have their data on their own tape and I would like to start the 2nd tape job immediately after the 1st tape job, otherwise I risk, that the 2nd tape job is not executed, if the 1st one is still running or does the 2nd one wait till the 1st one finishes?
And you're not copying backup data created by those companies, but rather some individual files/folders, right? Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

v.Eremin wrote: And you're not copying backup data created by those companies, but rather some individual files/folders, right? Thanks.
Exactly! The files to tape job is more flexible and I'm used to inventory tape barcode labels for jobs, that ran on weekends, in a small *.txt file.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. Your voice is heard. Thank you for providing your feedback; highly appreciated.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 » 1 person likes this post

With pleasure!

Regards,
Didi7
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

Further requests ...

6) To me it makes sense to automatically eject tapes from library drives that have been erased. That's what I am used to from traditional backup programs.
7) Add notification options to 'restore files from tape' Jobs.

Regards,
Didi7
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

6) Can you clarify a use case a bit? You mean you expect us to return a tape medium that has been just erased to its original slot?
7) Do you have Veeam ONE deployed? I'm wondering since Restore Operator Activity report might be exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

v.Eremin wrote:6) Can you clarify a use case a bit? You mean you expect us to return a tape medium that has been just erased to its original slot?
7) Do you have Veeam ONE deployed? I'm wondering since Restore Operator Activity report might be exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks.
Certainly!

Regarding 6) I am used to shifting tape media between different media pools. If I would like to erase a media and afterwards another one, the job statistics reports, that the former erased media is ejected and the new one is now erased. That's kind of irritating. Instead I wished media would be returned to its original magazine slot. Maybe it's possible to mark several tape media to be erased and each one gets returned to its original slot. That's common behavior in traditional backup software, at least for libraries.

Regarding 7) Notification is available in backup jobs, why not in restore jobs? To be honest, I don't want to use another product for restore notification.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can try to just move a medium between media pools without performing erase. While being moved a medium will be marked as a free and later on it will be used by tape job. Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

v.Eremin wrote:You can try to just move a medium between media pools without performing erase. While being moved a medium will be marked as a free and later on it will be used by tape job. Thanks.
Yes, I know, but sometimes ERASE is necessary to clean things up. Maybe you can submit the Eject after Erase as feature request. In the meantime, I know how to handle that.

Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

8) Add an Eject Option for restore files from tape Jobs

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You mean to place medium to I/O slot, once the restoration is finished, so that, medium can be take offline? Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

v.Eremin wrote:You mean to place medium to I/O slot, once the restoration is finished, so that, medium can be take offline? Thanks.
Not really ;) It should be automatically placed in the original slot.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. Currently a medium restore has been performed from is left in drive and isn't placed into original slot. However, we might think of changing that, based on the number of requests we get. So, thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

The report of 'Files to tape jobs' is misleading, as it always ends with '(1 VMs)', which is not true, as in my case, there are several files saved to tape and not only VM's. I don't know, what's more suitable, but '(1 VMs)' is definitely misleading?

Maybe, it makes more sense to add the number of files saved to tape or whatever?

Regards,
Didi7
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Can you clarify what particular report you're talking about? Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

I am talking about the email-results of 'Files to tape jobs".

Thanks,
Didi7
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. I will double check files to tape job email notification with the devs and update the topic in accordance. Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The report of 'Files to tape jobs' is misleading, as it always ends with '(1 VMs)', which is not true, as in my case, there are several files saved to tape and not only VM's. I don't know, what's more suitable, but '(1 VMs)' is definitely misleading?
Thanks - that looks like a bug for me. What is the exact information you would like to get in email notification after every file to tape run?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Which template is specified in the advanced settings of given files to tape job? Is it global by any chance? If so, try to switch it to "custom notification settings" and see whether it's something you're after. Thanks.