Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
4c7
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: 4c74356b41

File to Tape backup uses LAN

Post by 4c7 »

Hello, I installed 2 veeam servers (1 that's "primary" and one specifically for tape jobs).
Tape server has got all the LUN's in read mode attached to it for backups (I'm using Symantec, but trying out veeam). So I created a file to tape backup (we have about 1 tb worth of doc files, 600k+ files). So Symantec does it faster and doesn't use LAN to transfer data from LUN. So I assume veeam takes data from file server via LAN and then writes it to tape.
The question is - is this by design or am I missing something?
I tried creating job from the tape server itself, but veeam doesn't "see" the luns attached.

Thanks in advance.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: File to Tape backup uses LAN

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Could you specify how did you connect the tape device? VBR supports such types of direct connections as Fibre Channel (FC), Serial Attached SCSI (SAS), SCSI.
Backup to tape job copies existing restore points to tape. So you need to create backup or backup to tape job first and then set backup to tape job.
Thanks!
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

I'm using file to tape backup, not VM backup. I'm backing up files, not VM's.
Tapr Library is connected via FC. The backup itself works fine, but slow, since its using LAN instead of FC to transfer data.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Sorry, my bad. Second part of my post was about backup-to-tape instead of file to tape.
Regarding file to tape, could you provide your bottleneck statistics (Load: Source > Proxy > Network > Target ) and processing rate?
In general File-to-tape works much slower if dealing with a vast number of small files, like in your case.
Thanks!
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

Yeah, I know that it works slowly, the point is... It doesn't take data from LUN, it copies it over the network from the "source" server to tape server.

Again. I have this LUN attached both to file server and tape server. Tape server has LUN in read only mode. It should be able to take data from LUN directly, not transfer it via LAN from file server.

ps. Primary bottleneck: Source 87%, duration 13:26:49, processed 932,2 GB, processing rate - 20mb\s, we have 1 gb\s network adapters.
pps. when it does incremental it goes through all files again?? So incremental job took 11:36:01 (160mb of data) to complete. WTH?
ppps. what is weird. job log contains 2 time stamps. 0:33:45 and 0:02:07. which doesn't really sum to ~12 hours. WTH??
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Try to change job settings: on "Files and folders" step choose tape server, then click "Add" and check if there is the mounted LUN storage. Choose files to copy from the LUN and see if the backup speed will be improved.
By the way, what is the full bottleneck statistics: Proxy, Network, Target?
Thanks.
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

I suppose you were asking for this:
Source 87% > Proxy 0% > Network 0% > Target 0%

Just like i said in my original post "I tried creating job from the tape server itself, but veeam doesn't "see" the luns attached."
It only recognizes disk C and the CD-ROM. The luns are attached in read-only, i triple checked that.

ps. the next incremental took ~12 hours again. 220mb of data. Tell me this is a joke, please.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

So the lun is not mounted to the tape server as a volume or folder, is that correct?
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

Ehm, is there a way to mount it? I mean, its a part of a file server cluster. It supposed to be active on the cluster?

ps. sorry for the late reply.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Are you probably talking about retrieving VM guest OS files directly from the LUN where VM resides and copying them to tape?
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

220MB over 12Hr means something is seriously wrong with the setup... even if it WERE using a single Gig network link you should be seeing around 100MB/sec (that's what I see, on a NAS with 300+k files) and a single Gig link between NAS and tape server.
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

I appreciate your concern, but nothing is wrong with the backup, something is wrong with Veeam. Since SBE does the same incremental backup in a matter of minutes.

2 foggy, no, I'm just coping doc,rar,jpg,pdf files from a file share.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Post by pufferdude »

Do you have multiple (Veeam) proxies enabled? I've seen rare cases where Veeam's automatic proxy selection chooses a *way* wrong proxy (even one across a wan!) and of course this results in crazy bad backup times (and network utilization you're not expecting.) It's easy enough to look in the job to see which proxy it picked. If need be you can force the desired proxy within the backup job. This of course could have nothing to do with your issue, just throwing it out there.
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

Thanks, I will check it out and return with results. Sorry for late reply.
ps. Can we backup volumes deduped with WS 2012-2012 r2?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Yes, you can.
There is a topic with best practices and our customers` examples. Please take a look. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you're going to backup deduplicated volumes to tapes, be aware that those volumes will be re-hydrated to their original size during backup. Thanks.
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

So, there is no way to choose a backup proxy for a File to Tape job.
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

So, I have no idea what had changed (maybe 2a did the trick) this backup now takes only 1 hour to complete. Which is still bad compared to Symantec, but good enough for me not to care. So this is settled. God bless.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for updating the topic!
Glad to know it works much better now. Has it decreased from 12 hours to 1 hour?
We will keep working. More feedback we get, more understanding we have what to improve first. So, thanks for the feedback!
4c7
Enthusiast

Post by 4c7 »

Yes, from 12 hours to 1.