Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
msmith
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: NA

LTO Windows 7

Post by msmith »

Our Veeam Server is a Windows 7 Machine with a few 4TB Hard Drives.. It only backs up about 3 VMs.

However I would like to start moving these backups to tape.. Quantum makes some nice bundles that come with the HBA card. Am I heading down a dark path here? Or should I just try to bite the bullet and get a dedicated server, with Server OS and some hard drives?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: LTO Windows 7

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Is your Veeam Server running on a virtual or physical machine?
You can add tapes to physical server with no issues. Could you clarify your concern, please?
Thanks.
msmith
Novice

Post by msmith »

my concern is that LTO Tape will not work on windows 7.. Or if I can run into issues writing to tape like this.

It is a physical box
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

From the top of my head, if you Win7 physical box is fully patched and up to date it should be working with tape device, but before you go, check the tape device hardware/system requirements and consult with library vendor directly if possible

Frankly speaking, the best solution is to ask your hardware provide for a trial or for at least for ability to return the device if it does not suite you infrastructure.
msmith
Novice

Post by msmith »

I was kinda hoping to hear "Ya we do it.. no issues..." I think I better find a server
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

I just wanted to bring your attention to the hardware requirements your future tape device will have. From the software perspective Windows 7 is listed as a supported OS in the VBR guide so Yes we do this - no issues :D