Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Isaksson
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kristoffer Isaksson

Start Tapejob in V8

Post by Isaksson »

Case id: 00742860

Hello,
I have been using V7 almost 1 year and I have never had any issues with the "File to tape backup", I have upgraded to version 8 and now some strange things is happening, maybe someone more than me has noticed this strange behavior.

I am using a powershell script that is starting my File to tape job

Code: Select all

Start-VBRJob -Job "FileToTape_Monthly" -FullBackup -runasync | Out-File C:\VeeamScript\Log\SyntheticFullCheck.txt -append
This is a part of an script that I use to start the job when all my backup to disk is done with synthetic full.

Here is the error that I receive

Code: Select all

Failed to continue tape backup session on the next tape medium
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 

And in V7 this tape job was on 3 tapes, now I notice that he needs 4 tapes even that tape 3 has 1 TB free data so something is going wrong here.

Version: 8.0.0.917
HP MSL G3 Series 6.10

I have now started the job manual from the gui (active full on the tape job) so i don't know yet how that turns out.
Should I start the job in another way with powershell in V8?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Start Tapejob in V8

Post by veremin »

Let's wait and see whether or not the manual job execution via GUI will result in the similar issue; should help us to limit the scope of potential suspects (PS script or backup server). Thanks.
Isaksson
Influencer

Post by Isaksson »

I have received answer from the support and this is an bug with Version 8 of veeam when you use multipath to the library.
An fix will be provided in the next Veeam patch.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So, the problem was related to the script itself, but rather to the way VB&R treated multipath to the given library? Thanks.
Isaksson
Influencer

Post by Isaksson »

Thats correct (I guess you mean not related to the script) so i will continue to start my tape job in version 8 in the same way that i did in version 7, until someone tells me something else :)