Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
crichardson
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Corey

Tape jobs sending old files to tape?

Post by crichardson »

I'm just curious if anyone has seen a Veeam tape job send old files to tape which had previously already been written to tape.

I have 3 backup to disk jobs which run nightly. In the morning I have a Backup Tape Job which backs up the disk backups to tape. It's been working fine for a couple of weeks. It typically only writes the last backup file to tape. However today my tape job which writes last nights backup to tape, was also writing my full backup from July 14th to tape. That backup was written to tape on the morning of July 15th...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape jobs sending old files to tape?

Post by veremin »

What are the retention settings of given media pool? Most likely, the retention period specified on media pool has expired and the tape job starts to copy the old restore points that are no longer present on tape mediums. Thanks.
crichardson
Enthusiast

Post by crichardson »

HI v.Eremin,

You're exactly right. I thought the retention only applied to the data on the tape. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Yep, this is the way it currently works. The existing behavior might be changed in the next versions, though. Thanks.
crichardson
Enthusiast

Post by crichardson »

Now that I have the retention set properly, it's still trying to send old files to tape. Is there a way to "check off" all the files so that the job see's nothing to send to tape until the next backup to disk runs?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You might want to try this workaround, which includes deleting backups from backup console and running new full. Thanks.
crichardson
Enthusiast

Post by crichardson »

Doh, didn't even think of that! For some reason I was thinking I needed to delete the backups from disk. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

For some reason I was thinking I needed to delete the backups from disk
Simple deleting from backups operation followed by full backup creation seems to be enough to make backup to tape job copy only the latest backup data. Thanks.