Backup Copy never starts

#1 VM Backup : Modern Data Protection for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Backup Copy never starts

Veeam Logoby howesh » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:51 pm

I have one VM that is in a Backup Copy job. Every time it starts, it stops and reports "Restore point is located in backup file with different block size". It is the only VM in the job and it is a newly created Backup Job, so no data has been transferred yet. So far the job has not run successfully.
howesh
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Harry Howes

Re: Backup Copy never starts

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 am

Harry, there seems to be an issue with the backup copy job: if the corresponding backup job has block size different from the default one and if VMs are added to the backup copy job from the virtual infrastructure, the job could fail with the mentioned error. To work around this, you could either temporarily disable backup copy job, remove all files it has created (via Backup node in the Veeam B&R console), and re-enable it or just re-create the backup copy from scratch adding VMs from the backup job (instead of VI). Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 327 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby audiobog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Seems like trying to Copy from a Datadomain repository gives the same error message. "Restore point is located in backup file with different block size".
-- Bent
audiobog
Novice

Full Name: Bent Gjersvik

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi, Bent, have you already tried the workaround mentioned? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 329 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:52 am

Try not to use different storage optimization settings (aka block size) across different backup jobs to avoid this issue.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 745 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby audiobog » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi, Sorry for the late reply!

I've tried the workaround on the job with Datadomain repository. No success. Made another job to Windows disks instead: no problems at all. Same settings in both jobs. I'll try without any compression or inline dedup to the DD and see what happens.
-- Bent
audiobog
Novice

Full Name: Bent Gjersvik

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:46 am

Compression or dedupe settings are irrelevant to this, so don't bother wasting time on this experiment.
The only thing relevant to this issue is storage optimization setting (Local/LAN/WAN) in Veeam job.
Gostev
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Restore point is located in backup file with differ

Veeam Logoby joerg.hermanns » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Hello everyone,

when trying to do a "backup copy job" to an offsite location (Windows 2012 with local disks) i am getting the following in the logfile and nothing happens:

Restore point is located in backup file with different block size. VM: 'NS02', ID: 'a2e4fa1f-8b72-48ea-a547-a8c513430a87' Ref: 'vm-176'

Can someone shed a light on what excactly is causing this message and how i can fix that?

Regards and thanks
Joerg
joerg.hermanns

Full Name: Joerg Hermanns

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:33 pm

Joerg, please review the posts above for explanation and feel free to ask for any additional clarifications, if needed.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby joerg.hermanns » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:53 am

Sorry - but i still do not get it.
Where excactly do i have to change that ? I know i can change it on the Job itself - but where can i modify that for the Backup-Copy-Job?
A small hint would be helpful ;)

Regards
Joerg
joerg.hermanns

Full Name: Joerg Hermanns

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:09 am

You can disable backup copy job, delete files already created by it (delete from disk) and enable backup copy job again. This way, backup copy job will create restore points at remote location with the exact block size used by original backup job. Otherwise, recreate a backup copy job from the scratch. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 329 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby skramjet » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:59 am

This doesn't work. I have 2 machines, each with their optimisation set to LAN target instead of local. When the backup copy jobs are created (new backup copy jobs). They set it 'restore point is located in backup file with different block size'.

I have tried changing the optimisation settings for the jobs to Local target, but the same error still occurs.
skramjet
Lurker

Full Name: Mark Smits

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Mark, how do you add VMs to the newly created backup copy jobs? From the backup job or from virtual infrastructure/backup repository?
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 pm

What happens here (unless you are running into some kind of bug) is some other VMs included in the backup copy are backed up by the job with different block size than these two VMs. If you open a support case, they will be able to tell you which exactly after reviewing the logs. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby paul2kl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:37 pm

I have the same issue as you. Did you upgrade to Veeam 7 ? If so were the backups jobs created in Veeam 6.5. Then you tried to use the backup copy job in veeam 7, and it never starts. This is the issue I have.
I had to re-create the backup job in veeam 7 and then do the backup copy job ( Now it all works). But there is no way I am going to re-create all the backup jobs so I have logged a call with Support to see what can be done to get this working.
paul2kl
Lurker

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication