Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DanielS
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: daniel Soares

backup veeam B&R on DR site

Post by DanielS »

hello,
I want to use microsoft sql replication to provide the DR instance of veeam backup and replication to the DR site in case of crash of our prod site

I have two issues
1 if I install the application veeam backup and replication first and then replicate the database from the source server to the DR server (hostnames are differents)
the application ask me for a reinstallation to change the backup server name and then I am not able to restart the services

2 if I install the application veeam bakcup and replication after replicating the database
the application ask me for changing the name to the actual server but after all the stored passwords are empty

is it possible to get out of this issue to be able to replicate veeam backup to the DR Site ?
I use microsoft 2005 standard
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: backup veeam B&R on DR site

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Daniel,

These topics should cover all your questions, please look through:
Move Veeam database only to another sql server
How to move a job from one server to another w/o messing CBT

Hope this helps!
DanielS
Novice

Post by DanielS »

Hi
thank you for your quick answer,

but those posts do not anwer my question

My issue is
the veeam server and the sql server on prod site are the same machine the host name is veeamserverA
I created a second machine on the DR site, it's name is veeamserverB

I copy the database from veeamserverA to veeamserverB (sql mirror replication) but when I try to start the application from veeamserverB
the passwords are crypted as in serverA so they do not work for serverB
I tried to change them in server B and the crypted value is different
I use a domaine user for the application but seems that your encryption process takes care of the hostname

do you have a process with key to be able to use same encryption in two different servers?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

DanielS wrote:I copy the database from veeamserverA to veeamserverB (sql mirror replication) but when I try to start the application from veeamserverB
the passwords are crypted as in serverA so they do not work for serverB
That's right, as these keys are encrypted with veeamserverA-specific private key.
DanielS wrote:I tried to change them in server B and the crypted value is different
Could you please clarify, where you've changed that? You need to re-enter all the settings within a new backup console.
DanielS wrote:do you have a process with key to be able to use same encryption in two different servers?
That's not possible, you need to re-type Soap and VSS credentials if you install backup server on a new machine or backup/restore the Veeam SQL database.
DanielS
Novice

Post by DanielS »

thanks Vitaliy

so the only solution to replicate the veeam backup in a remote site without having to reinstall every thing is to replicate itself
but I had an error doing this one time impossible to restart the server due to snapshot disks not deleted
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that shouldn't be too hard/long, though if you have any technical issues let our support team investigate them.
nickmancini
Influencer
Full Name: Nick Mancini

Moving Veeam Backup to new machine

Post by nickmancini »

[merged]

Greetings.

We are running Veeam Backup Enterprise on an external PC with Win7.

We will be replacing this PC with a new one, running Server 2008 R2 x64.

is there a way to easily migrate Veeam Backup from one machine to another?

there are several jobs with lots of history & restore points, and I'd rather not recreate from scratch if I do not have to.

Thanks.