Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ec-inflxx
Enthusiast
Liked: never

cleaning up vbrcatalog folder

Post by ec-inflxx »

Hi,
I was wondering if someone could help me out. We have our VBRCatalog installed on a separate drive and it is currently just about full (200gb dedicated volume). I am wondering what I can delete and clean up in that folder that would clear up some space that won't affect the backups. Also not sure if there is an automated tool that can do this or if it has to be done manually. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: cleaning up vbrcatalog folder

Post by foggy »

This folder stores guest OS index files used to search for and restore files within backed up VMs. So cleaning it up will not affect backups but will affect the ability to search in backup files. You can configure retention for index data in Enterprise Manager under Configuration > Settings > Guest File System Catalog (please note, that Enterprise version of Veeam B&R allows for searching in both current and archived backups so make sure the retention is configured to keep only the required index data).

Btw, what Veeam B&R version do you use? Note, that v6 release reduced the size of the index in several times compared to the previous versions.

Also, this thread might be useful.
ec-inflxx
Enthusiast

Post by ec-inflxx »

Using v6.1. Thanks.
Crof
Novice

[MERGED] VBRCatalog - What does it hold and what if it is de

Post by Crof »

My question is: What is the VBRCatalog folder for and what happens if all of its contents are deleted?

So today I permanently deleted the volume which I wasn't aware held the VBRCatalog folder. That meant my backups stopped working with errors "Could not find a part of the path 'E:\VBRCatalog\Publications\Upload'.

I worked with support who followed KB1453 which created a new folder and made a registry change which resolved the issue and a test restore of both new and old information from a backup after the KB was used seemed to work OK.

However, I'm not sure what the VBRCatalog is used for and if I should be worried about unknown corruption. I looked around a bit, but couldn't easily find information on what it is for.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can read about this folder above. Though I'm not sure the job should fail in case it is not available, since the backup itself was successful, it's just a guest index files management issue, so looks more like a warning to me. Will discuss this internally. Btw, I'll apreciate if you could share your case ID.