Delete Restore Points

#1 VM Backup : Modern Data Protection for VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Delete Restore Points

Veeam Logoby etretout » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am

Hy,

My HDD is full and I want to make free space. I show that I have 3 or 4 restore points in all backup.

How can i delete some restore points.

Best regards

Emmanuel
etretout
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: etretout

Re: Delete Restore Points

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:04 am

Hello Emmanuel,

You can reduce the retention policy value at advanced settings of your job configuration, that will automatically remove the oldest restore points for your backups.

Please be aware that retention policy check is performed at the end of the job, so if you're not able to run the job rigth now due to lack of free space, you may delete just the oldest VRB file (the last available restore point) manually at the destination storage and re-run the job, this restore point will also be deleted from the Veeam SQL configuration DB automatically with retention policy as soon as your job finishes successfully.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Liked: 400 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby marius roma » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:00 am

Can I delete old .vib and .vbk files if I am sure I don't need them?
Regards
marius
marius roma
Enthusiast

Full Name: Mario

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:36 am

Reduce the number of restore points kept by the given job and let retention policy do it work. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 333 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:38 pm

Marius, deleting restore points manually is highly not recommended, as you might end up with orphaned restore point entries in the SQL configuration database.
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Liked: 400 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] : Free Space in repository

Veeam Logoby wiz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:34 am

Hello,
I use Veeam Backup & Replication to backup my Vmware infrastructure. I have a problem : one of my virtual machines is big (3To). My backup repository is often Full ( How can I delete old backups without loosing all backup datas)?

Thanks
wiz
Lurker

Full Name: wiz

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:06 am

Specify shorter retention policy and let it delete old restore points automatically. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby wiz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:49 am

Hello,
Can I delete manually some restore points?
wiz
Lurker

Full Name: wiz

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:56 am

What backup method you're using? Reversed or forward incremental one? In the latter case, how many are there restore points, counting from the latest full backup and what restore points you want to delete? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:32 am

As it is stated above, it is not recommended to delete backup files manually, but let retention algorithm to handle that. However, if you need to free up some space to let backups complete successfully, you can remove older restore points manually, though they will still remain in the SQL configuration database as an available restore points (until flushed away by retention). If you are using reverse incremental backup mode, just delete the oldest .VRB files by their modified date. For forward incremental mode, you have to remove the oldest .VBK along with all the corresponding .VIB files.

To address space issues, it is recommended to configure built-in Veeam B&R space notifications or use one of the Veeam ONE predefined reports - Capacity Planning for backup repositories.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 327 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication