Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andrewH
Novice
Liked: never

Different edition for remote office?

Post by andrewH »

I need some advice for implementing Veeam at remote sites.

We use Veeam Enterprise Management Suite at our head office & DR site, what I now want to starting using Veeam at two remote sites and replicate back to our head office. Due to the relatively poor links to those sites I want to use Enterprise Plus for the WAN acceleration, however I'm not clear on whether this would be possible whilst still using just the Enterprise edition at our head office (though they would only be target hosts)? With the cost involved its simply not an option to upgrade all current licenses to Enterprise plus. If there was a problem with this I presume it wouldn't be an issue if these two remote sites simply act as a target for each other?

I'm also wondering about how best to monitor these hosts, presumably we'd need a separate Veeam ONE server for the hosts with Enterprise Plus licenses? Not ideal but the way the licenses would be delivered I cant see any other choice.

Lastly, given the remote sites are pretty small they'd fit within the 6 CPU limit for the Essential package so would be looking at that.

Any feedback welcome.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Different edition for remote office?

Post by Gostev »

Hi Andrew, I don't believe we allow mixing different license types within the same deployment. Technically speaking, you should be able to run multiple separate B&R deployments with different licenses, however there is a limit of a single Essential package per customer (and I understand that you have many sites). I think ELA might be a better option for you, please talk to your Veeam sales representative to discuss this.

I think it worth noting here that while Enterprise Plus edition upgrade is indeed quite expensive, keep in mind that this will cost you at least a few times less than buying general purpose WAN accelerator for each of your remote sites, and they will still not be able to achieve data reduction ratios comparable with Veeam's built-in WAN accelerators due to not being content-aware.

Thanks!