Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
claudiofolu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: claudiofolu

Enterprise Manager: Failed to create website 0x80070020

Post by claudiofolu »

Hello,
We are installing Enteprise Manager on a fresh server after installling VBR. During the installation wizard install all dependencies (including IIS), but after a while we get an error mesage "Failed to create website 0x80070020"

Server OS is Windows Server 2012 R2

Any clues?

Case#00539354
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Enterprise Manager Installation failed

Post by foggy »

Claudio, are there any related messages in the Windows Event Log?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just a wild guess, but could this be a reason - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973094?
claudiofolu
Enthusiast

Post by claudiofolu »

Nop, I already check that. nobody is listen on the 80 or 443 ports
Nothing in the event log.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then let's wait for what our engineers could suggest after reviewing the logs.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden » 1 person likes this post

Someone had this earlier in the week - try disabling your AV software , especially if you have McAfee.
claudiofolu
Enthusiast

Post by claudiofolu »

I will try that.... I have McAfee :(
CvB
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Christian vom Bruck

Post by CvB » 1 person likes this post

In my case it was clearly the McAfee scanner running. Disabling it let me run the installation without any problems.
pageda
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Page

Re: Enterprise Manager: Failed to create website 0x80070020

Post by pageda » 1 person likes this post

Just an update because I like to know when my posts are useful to others...and this one was useful to me.

This issue hit me too. Also running Mcafee. Getting exact same error. Disabled AV and installed again without issue.

Thanks to the OP.
Nodnarb
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brandon

Post by Nodnarb »

I struggled with the Veeam 11 to 12 upgrade when attempting to upgrade Enterprise Manager. It would fail with this error every time. I'd have to revert my Veeam server back to its snapshot (taken when powered-off), restore my VeeamBackupReporting SQL database (housed on a separate SQL Server) and power my Veeam server back up and try again. My Veeam server is Windows Server 2019 and we use the bult-in Defender antivirus, but disabling it wasn't the solution that worked for me, nor was changing the IIS certificate back to the Veeam self-signed certificate (found this in another suggestion). I did the following:
- Control Panel / Programs and Features: removed "IIS URL Rewrite Module 2". The installer will re-install this. I found this in a VeeamOne suggestion but I don't think this helped in my case.
- Created a temporary AD OU, set it to block all inheritance and moved my Veeam server AD computer object there. Ran gpupdate /force.
- Admin Tools / Local Security Policy / Local Policies / Security Options / User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode / (set this to disabled, it was enabled by a group policy)
- Reboot to finish turning off UAC
- Log onto the Veeam server's VM console (not remote desktop) as the local Administrator (not a domain user). Ran the upgrade.
- The Enterprise Manager upgrade ran successfully.
- Moved the Veeam server back to the original OU, gpupdat /force, reboot to get it all back to normal

Hope those steps are useful for someone else!
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Post by Rumple »

I have to say, after multiple years of fighting with this enterprise manager install upgrade I am really getting tired of it.
Disabling antivirus is never an option any longer and seriously, what in the flying hell is the installer doing that AV would even block? Creating websites with powershell doesn't get blocked by AV so what is so sketchy about how veeam is doing it.
We are on better part of 2 days trying to get this POS to install successfully...and I've had every single upgrade fail and require screwing around with.
You know how hard it is in an enterprise with a strict cybersecurity program to get a server to allow all AV to be disabled? I've filled out less paperwork at the hospital....
Rumple
Service Provider
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Mark Hodges

Post by Rumple »

following the instructions Nodnard, we put the server into a blocked ou and logged in locally with vmware console and it did install.
Of course, we then realized that the installation was useless because Veeam has decided to start using postgres by default and for reasons only known to them, they somehow managed to make any B&R with a SQL database unmanageable by their new default installation of postgres. How or why the hell it would matter what the local installation db is makes zero sense to me, but here we are.

So now we have to now manually install sql on the enterprise server (because they decided to remove it from the installer process like before), or we have to migrate all our remote servers to postgres..

Sigh, seems like nothing is simple any more with veeam....
JGM2023
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: JGM

Post by JGM2023 »

We also experienced the same Issue, Enterprise customer with Microsoft Defender. Have to boot Into safe mode to disable AV properly. Pain In the arse :D

Anti-Virus needs to be fully disabled for It to work successfully. We also had the same Issue with Veeam One when upgrading to V12.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1992
jcollier5hole
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Collier

Post by jcollier5hole »

Upgrading from v11 to V12
CREATE A SNAPSHOT, YOU MAY NEED TO ROLLBACK A FEW TIMES.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upgrade #1
- Followed the exact same steps as @Nodnarb (thanks @Nodnarb for the tips) and the upgrade of EM continued to fail.
- I took the following additional steps.
o Totally uninstalled defender and rebooted.
o Uninstalled the Solarwinds agent and rebooted.
o Stopped the IIS Website and ApplicationPool for VeeamBackup
Upgrade #1 completed successfully.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upgrade #2
I had a second Veeam B&R environment to upgrade, this time:
- Followed the steps from @Nodnarb.
- No SolarWinds agent installed.
- I put defender in passive mode only (at least I think so, defender is a strange animal so who knows, but I could still see defender with CPU time in task manager).
- Stopped the IIS website and ApplicationPool for VeeamBackup.
THE UPGRADE OF EM FAILED, SAME ERROR. Restore from snap, attempt #2
- Uninstalled defender as I did in upgrade #1
Upgrade #2 completed successfully.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am confident that Defender was the issue. If I had to do the upgrades again, I would only uninstall defender and attempt the upgrade as I am confident this was the issue. Maybe Veeam can figure out why defender has this issue with IIS / Website upgrade. Both servers were 2019.
popjls
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by popjls »

I am confident that Defender was the issue.
It is and was for me too. I had to completely offboard Defender to get it to install. Veeam or MS need to work around this problem because every upgrade is going to cause the exact same issue at this rate.
cweiss
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by cweiss »

Same here!

MDE Offboarding was necessary to avoid the upgrade failure