Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zed999
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Zaher Butt

NDMP Support?

Post by zed999 » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

I cant find any reference to NDMP support for Veeam Backup, is it possible for VEEAM to backup a machine with remote drive mounts?

I.e. can you mount a N:  on the backup server to the root file share of a NAS device then back it up or can VEEAM backup UNC paths natively?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: NDMP Support?

Post by Gostev »

Hello, Veeam Backup can backup to UNC paths natively. Moreover, that's exactly how you should do this - using mapped drives is not recommended (they are available only when user are logged on to the computer interactively, and only for this specific user - but Veeam Backup service account might be different).
zed999
Influencer

Post by zed999 »

thanks Gostev

We are thinking of moving out a big fileserver on more cost effective storage.

What are there any caveats from using UNC say compared to vStorage API?

backup traffic going accross LAN via service console?
deduplication?
compression?
changed block tracking?

thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Zaher, I don't understand what you are saying, this does not make sense to me. vStorage API and some options you listed above are all around source (production) VMFS storage access, but I have been talking about UNC path to target storage where the backup files will be stored. And compression/deduplication are completely separate from both.
zed999
Influencer

Post by zed999 »

Gostev, I am not talking about target storage but source, sorry let me clarify...

We are looking at the moving our vSphere enviroment form 4gbit Fibre SAN to a 10gbit NFS based NAS box. Can you please let me know how Veeam Backup will need to be configured to support this and what your thoughts are on what impact this will have on our backups?

We are backing up to local DAS, using vStorage API & Change Block Tracking

The proposed NAS device can present data for backup via CIFS, NFS or NDMP.

We are very happy with how Veeam Backup is performaing and dont want to break it!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Zaher, thank you for clarifying. Unfortunately, vStorage API only supports direct storage access for FC and iSCSI SAN, not for NFS storage.

Based on customers feedback, for NFS production storage, best performance can be obtained by installing Veeam Backup in a VM and using the vStorage API "Virtual Appliance" processing mode. Be sure to give Veeam Backup VM 4 vCPU, so that CPU is not a bottleneck.

I will be interested to hear on your results on what performance numbers are you seeing with 10Gb NFS source storage!

Thanks!
sachit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sachit Grover

Post by sachit »

Hello Team,

I have one client who's data ( file level- user data) is residing on EMC VNX 5200.
My environment is totally virtualized with ESXi hosts.
I am considering Veeam for that. Please let me know if we can take the backup of these files (using NDMP) through Veeam.

Regards,
Sachit
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Sachit,

Thanks for using search and posting into existing thread. Can you please elaborate a bit more on how do you want to back up these files? Veeam does not use NDMP to backup data from storage devices, however if you can place this data on VM virtual disks, you can use Veeam backup jobs to save it.

Thank you!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I have a doubt Sachit is talking about the unified part of the VNX, so he's using the SMB3 shares created directly into the VNX, correct?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
sachit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sachit Grover

Post by sachit »

Hello Vitaliy,

Let me explain you in generic way. My client is using VNX 5200 unified storage and using it for file level storage( users saves files on it).
Now the system Admin want to take the backup of all the files and folders present in the storage.
What is the way veeam can help me out?? I have tried symentac Backup Exec, but its not solving my problem ( backup is failing).

Please let me know how Veeam can help me out in this..

Hello Dellock,
You are correct, I am using SMB shares for the files.

regards,
sachit
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Basically, Veeam B&R is an image-based block-level solution (not file level), so the only way you can backup files on those shares is using file copy jobs, however they are not incremental and cannot be considered as a mean of periodic backup.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you have Cloud Edition, you might try to use it for this purpose, since it's smart enough to copy changed files, and it also has experimental functionality allowing you to copy incremental file changes. Thanks.