Physical Server Backup

Availability for the Modern Data Center

Physical Server Backup

Veeam Logoby ckeith7777 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:45 pm 2 people like this post

Will Veeam ever support the backup of physical servers? I hear Dell's AppAssure supports both virtual and physical backups. Would be a nice feature.
ckeith7777
Novice

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chuck Keith

Re: Physical Server Backup

Veeam Logoby Fiskepudding » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I would guess Never!
And i hardly ever use that word :)
Fiskepudding
Expert

Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm

foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 366 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Fiskepudding wrote:I would guess Never!

Well, I never say never, as our promise is to listen to our customers and build the tools they need. We are ready to deliver any feature there will be big demand for from our customer base. But, it will always comes down to priorities, which are in turn based on amount of requests and value to the product for each pending feature. Currently, this feature is not high on our current priorities list - and I don't know if it will ever make it there. This only depends on you, our customers and partners.

ckeith7777 wrote:I hear Dell's AppAssure supports both virtual and physical backups.

Don't get fooled by them claiming support for all possible hypervisors. In reality, AppAssure does physical only. Sure, they are able to backup virtual servers by treating them as regular physical servers, but obviously such architecture is unacceptable for serious VM backup. There is existing long discussion about AppAssure here, in case you care for further info.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 876 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby ckeith7777 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:29 pm 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the replies everyone... Right now i use Veeam for all my virtuals and BackupExec for physical. To put it nicely, i dislike Symantec. :) I just wish Veeam would add a physical solution. Gostev i will review the AppAssure discussion. Thanks!
ckeith7777
Novice

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Chuck, out of curiosity, what are your physical servers (OS and applications), and what are the reasons for you to keep them physical? I am not looking to criticize your decision in any way, but instead to learn why you decided not to virtualize them. And may be spread some doubts were applicable. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 876 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby ckeith7777 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:05 pm

I have 2 exchange 2010 mailbox servers, 4 SQL servers. 2 DC's (2 Virtual DC's as well) and 4 Terminal Servers. (Server 2008 and 2008 R2) These are the only servers I have left in the physical world. I may be able to get away with P2V’ing Exchange and the terminal servers, but I don’t have enough IOPS to support SQL in my current configuration. (Without spending a lot of money on SAN upgrades)
ckeith7777
Novice

Veeam Logoby habibalby » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:30 pm 1 person likes this post

ckeith7777 wrote:I have 2 exchange 2010 mailbox servers, 4 SQL servers. 2 DC's (2 Virtual DC's as well) and 4 Terminal Servers. (Server 2008 and 2008 R2) These are the only servers I have left in the physical world. I may be able to get away with P2V’ing Exchange and the terminal servers, but I don’t have enough IOPS to support SQL in my current configuration. (Without spending a lot of money on SAN upgrades)

You have a valid reason why you wouldn't virtualize such of hungry IOPS application since your backend storage cannot handle it. But still you can use Veeam backup to backup/copy your files from the physical servers to your NFS / any shared disk "Backup to Disk".

If you don't have the tools to backup your DCs, SQL or Exchange, you can use the local built-in feature to backup the application and dump them to disk, then use Veeam as a Centralize Enterprise Backup Application to copy the the files of these application from the Physical servers to your Backup Repository on Veeam.

Remember, File Copy doesn't have an incremental features to take only the recent changed files not have a CBT functionality to take only the changes too, it's a normal file copy jobs.
1. DCs, you can use System State backup.
2. SQL you can use the built-in feature in MSSQL to backup the databases.
3. Exchange, you have only the option to use the local backup feature.
4. Buy another third party product to backup your physical server or another SAN to handle the physical servers IOPS and you can virtualize them and use Veeam as a Centralize Backup Application for all your servers.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
habibalby
Expert

Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Veeam Logoby ckeith7777 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks for the info Habibalby...
ckeith7777
Novice

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm 2 people like this post

Not really Veeam related, but a consideration on your IOPS requirements for going virtual.
Right now your physical workloads are having the IOPS they need from some storage, right? Even if it's from local hard disks of their respective underlying servers, why not to plan for P2Ving them and let them run on the same local storage once the server is reinstalled with ESXi? This is by far the easiest way to virtualize those kind of workloads, and you can gain at the same time added DR functionality, since when you need you can always restore them on other server even if with lower IOPS.

Then, after usual hardware lifecycles (3 to 5 years) you will be already virtualized and you could put your budget on a new and more powerful SAN storage instead of buying again the same physical servers fully loaded with disks.

My 2 cents,
Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Evangelist @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam MVP

Liked: 381 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby tietzjd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:48 am

IOPS is consideration but so is disk latency. Beyond that could Veeam just tweak some things to make this happen?

So the next trick would be to back Physical server to backup it self up in P2V manor and than convert that to Veeam Backup file.

Team up with p2v vendor, I would think that someone would jump on this since Physical servers are a dying breed. Than assign a proxy to convert that VMDK already on the destination disk to Veeam backup file?

Sounds easy, I sure it's more complex than I am making it.
tietzjd

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe Tietz

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Not sure I followed your post....
My suggestion was: P2V your physical server in a VM, install ESXi on that same server and run the VM there. Same hardware, so no difference in IOPS and disk latency (or any other specs...) and then you can backup that server via Veeam since it became a virtual machine.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Evangelist @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam MVP

Liked: 381 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby tietzjd » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:58 am

Luca--- I think started answering question for posts earlier than yours. But I agree a P2V to a repository and than convert it to Veeam backup file should be doable.
tietzjd

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe Tietz

Veeam Logoby J1mbo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 pm

dellock6 wrote:Not really Veeam related, but a consideration on your IOPS requirements for going virtual.
Right now your physical workloads are having the IOPS they need from some storage, right? Even if it's from local hard disks of their respective underlying servers...

Totally agree with this post. IOPS is an odd reason to cite.
J1mbo
Expert

Liked: 27 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Veeam Logoby JoshRountree » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 pm

I know licensing might be a deal breaker sometimes. What you pay to license your entire virtual infrastructure for a single server (due to licensing costs) might buy you 2 servers (production + DR) and all the equipment needed to back them up.

If you *had* to use a physical server, can anyone recommend a backup solution? Backup Exec?
JoshRountree

Liked: never
Full Name: Josh Rountree

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication