Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mattrgee
Novice
Liked: never

Scheduled Job Errors

Post by mattrgee »

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Veeam Backup for use with ESXi hosts, backup jobs when run interactivily work fine, however when scheduled they always go into error. From Realtime Statistics:

Code: Select all

0 of 0 files processed 

Total VM size: 20.00 GB
Processed size: 0.00 KB
Avg. performance rate: 0 KB/s
Backup mode: agentless

Start time: 05/06/2009 22:32:37
End time: 05/06/2009 22:32:39

Deleting the whole list of backups
Delete backup "VCSERVER01" machine was unsuccessful
Undir failed
Client error: boost::filesystem::space: The system cannot find the path specified: "Z:\"
VeeamFS storage cannot be opened. Storage: [Z:\Primary Hypervisor2009-06-01T133849.vrb]. Read-only mode: [false].
Cannot handle [undir] command. VBK: [Z:\Primary Hypervisor2009-06-01T133849.vrb]. Patch: [].
The message is the same for all 8 VMs in the backup job.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Scheduled Job Errors

Post by Gostev »

Hello, is Z: a mapped drive? If so, please specify UNC path to the shared folder in the jobs' settings, instead of using mapped drive. Mapped drive is a "user-mode" setting (stored under HKCU), and is only available for the user who created the mapped drive, and only when the user is loggen on to the computer interactively. Hope this helps!
grampianfasteners
Novice
Full Name: Grampian Fasteners Support

Post by grampianfasteners »

We are having the same issue and think it could be due to the mapped paths.

I will post an update when I've tested this tonight using full UNC paths. Thanks for the tip.
grampianfasteners
Novice

We are still getting a failed on a nightly scheduled scan. I've changed the path from a mapped path B:/location/to/backup/that/exists to \\backup\location\that\exists and it still doesn't work. The mailed failure message is below (I've clearly renamed paths to keep them anonymous):

Code: Select all

Deleting the whole list of backups Delete backup "machine1" machine was unsuccessful Undir failed Client error: boost::filesystem::exists: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password: "\\our\unc\path\machine Nightly Whole Machine.vbk" VeeamFS storage cannot be opened. Storage: [\\our\unc\path\machine1 Nightly Whole Machine.vbk]. Read-only mode: [false]. Cannot handle [undir] command. VBK: [\\our\unc\path]. Patch: []. 
This could be because I create the job as an administrator. I've creating the job both as a local administrator and domain administrator. The domain administrator has full access at the destination UNC path. How can I ensure the UNC share is being opened with domain admin (or another account) credentials?
grampianfasteners
Novice

I'm going to try the suggestions at http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529 and post back to this thread.
grampianfasteners
Novice

[SOLVED] Scheduled Job Errors

That worked for us.

You have to run the service as an account with suitable credentials (such as site-wide administrator - bad practice, so create another user account that has the correct rights at both the veeam server and the backup destination), and obviously the destination has to allow the user the service is running as to read/write/delete files. Also the file path has to be a full UNC share, not a mapped path (since mapped paths are associated with the user, when that user logs off they are not maintained).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Thank you for posting the resolution! Just as a side not for future readers, starting from Veeam Backup 4.0 there will be no difference between job started manually (interactively), or automatically (on schedule). In both cases, it will run under the Veam Backup service account security context.