Have a lot of fun

Boris
widmerkarl
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Karl Widmer

Re: Veeam B&R v9 released

Post by widmerkarl » 1 person likes this post

Just saw it two minutes ago and can't wait to implement it at my customer, forward looking at advantages in direct NFS access and per-VM backup chains to saturate the links for backup and replication :)
Best regards,
Karl

-----------------------
vExpert 2017-2024
VMware VCP-DCV 2023 / VCA6-DCV / VCA5-DCV / VCA5-Cloud
Former Veeam Vanguard / VMCE v9 / VMTSP v9 / VMSP v9
Personal blog: https://www.driftar.ch
Twitter: @widmerkarl
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Lukas

Post by lxk3il » 1 person likes this post

Great Work! Cant wait to test it out :)
Thanks for you hard work, veeam team!
smarechal
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Siegfried

Post by smarechal » 1 person likes this post

Thank you, i'm downloading it!
pnikies
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roman David

Post by pnikies »

Thank you, could we have the complete what's new / release notes ?
Pat490
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by Pat490 » 1 person likes this post

PenguinSSH
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: PenguinSSH

Post by PenguinSSH »

Just an FYI, we received a 502 bad gateway error when when try to sign in or download B&R9

EDIT: Nevermind, it was fixed just now :) Currently downloading this piece of cake XD
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1173 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Lot's of people jumping on it ;-)
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
lxk3il
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Lukas

Post by lxk3il » 1 person likes this post

pnikies wrote:Thank you, could we have the complete what's new / release notes ?
Check here:
What's New in Veeam Backup & Replication v9
What's New in Veeam ONE v9
Ink
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by Ink »

Veeam B&R 9.0.0.902
BUG: If you delete a replica from disk through Veeam the GUI does not update and the replica remains listed. If you try and delete it again it errors out saying VM replica can't be found.

Sloppy bug to slip through to GA.
SyNtAxx
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by SyNtAxx »

Did you sir find the first reported bug?
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

Post by mkaec » 2 people like this post

I'm usually not an early adopter, but there's some really good improvements in this release. The question is "Is Veeam's QA better than VMware's QA?" :)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Ink wrote:Veeam B&R 9.0.0.902
BUG: If you delete a replica from disk through Veeam the GUI does not update and the replica remains listed. If you try and delete it again it errors out saying VM replica can't be found.
Sloppy bug to slip through to GA.
Thanks. We will check it and write back asap.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Ink,
Could you specify if the issue is recurrent, i.e. after you delete the replica it doesn`t disappear in GUI at all or it disappears once you refresh or say, switch between hosts in GUI?
Thanks!
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

SyNtAxx wrote:Did you sir find the first reported bug?
I wouldn't call it the "first" bug. The "Known Issues" section of the release notes is pretty long. As least some of these items are bugs. (Like not being able to exclude SCSI disks with an ID greater than 16.)
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause » 3 people like this post

mkaec wrote:I'm usually not an early adopter, but there's some really good improvements in this release. The question is "Is Veeam's QA better than VMware's QA?" :)
These days asking a question like that is like asking if water is wet. 8)
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
RGijsen
Expert
Liked: 25 times

Post by RGijsen » 1 person likes this post

I really like the some of the new features. A relative 'simple' but great one is the BitLooker (who thought of that name :D) which should save us a lot of backup repository space. Honestly though I totaly dislike the new UI. It might be more 'slick' to others, to me it's less clear to my eyes. I don't really see why the UI needed an upgrade anyway; a backup tool has to be productive and good at what it should do (and it is!) but I don't see why it needed these new looks. Will it be possible to choose between this new and the classic theme at some point?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte » 1 person likes this post

I can't comment about the specific icons and colors but the UI was being rebuilt anyway to support the remote console. I've also found a number of minor ways it just works better, like drag-select.
VladV
Expert
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

RGijsen wrote:Honestly though I totaly dislike the new UI. It might be more 'slick' to others, to me it's less clear to my eyes.
I agree. It's not very legible. I think it's because of the cogwheels and how they are integrated in the background of many icons. Or the white outline of the icons.
iAmRoot
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Andy B

Post by iAmRoot »

I'm having a blocker issue with the install (and Customer Support line is not picking up - this is kind of urgent). When I try to upgrade from v8u3 to v9 it states "This configuration database contains managed servers with an unsupported OS (Windows Server 2003 and earlier. You must reove all such servers before upgrading."

All of the VM's hosting Veeam components (BEM, proxies, tape servers) run on Server 2008 R2. What is the installer here talking about? Other 2003 VM's that are just part of backup jobs? I thought we were still going to be able to backup Server 2003 vm's.
VladV
Expert
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

Check in Backup Infrastructure > Managed Servers and see if you haven't missed a standalone Win server there. I had one that was disabled a long time ago.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

iAmRoot wrote:All of the VM's hosting Veeam components (BEM, proxies, tape servers) run on Server 2008 R2. What is the installer here talking about? Other 2003 VM's that are just part of backup jobs? I thought we were still going to be able to backup Server 2003 vm's.
That`s correct. You are still able to backup Microsoft Windows Server 2003 VMs just like any operating systems supported by VMware. In your case you probably have Veeam components installed on some WS 2003 machine. As Dima mentioned, let`s keep the discussion in the original thread. Thanks!
marcinK3
Service Provider
Full Name: Marcin Dlugosz

Post by marcinK3 » 1 person likes this post

Hi, can someone describe me how to move backup files to StoreOnce Catalyst repo? I can't even add New Folder to Catalyst repo via FILE menu in V9?
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes » 1 person likes this post

New Folder is not available since Catalyst store does not have such type of item, only files.
However you may paste there a folder with a files from another server, Veeam will workaround this limitation.
Please keep in mind, that copying existing backup files and than mapping jobs to it is not a good idea, since synthetic activities on such chain will fail due to lack of special Catalyst metadata.
It is recommended to start backup chains anew, performance of Active Full should be quite good for dedupe storage.
nullifi
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Taylor

Post by nullifi »

VladV wrote: I agree. It's not very legible. I think it's because of the cogwheels and how they are integrated in the background of many icons. Or the white outline of the icons.
At first I thought "This is horrible! It's all blurry!" then I realized it was just yet another DPI scaling bug with Windows 10 on my docked laptop. However, I will say that while I don't know what could be causing this, I do find it a bit harder to read and comprehend what I'm looking at. Maybe it's the colors? The flattened UI? I don't know..
marcinK3
Service Provider
Full Name: Marcin Dlugosz

Post by marcinK3 »

nefes wrote:New Folder is not available since Catalyst store does not have such type of item, only files.
However you may paste there a folder with a files from another server, Veeam will workaround this limitation.
Please keep in mind, that copying existing backup files and than mapping jobs to it is not a good idea, since synthetic activities on such chain will fail due to lack of special Catalyst metadata.
It is recommended to start backup chains anew, performance of Active Full should be quite good for dedupe storage.
First of all where is "remove from backups" :shock: - If I even try to map old backup, since v9 I do not know how to to it :(.
Second - I'd like to copy some files (test only)to Catalyst , but i don't know how.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes » 1 person likes this post

Remove from backups is as usual, on node Backup&Replication -> Backups -> right click menu, it is currently named Remove from configuration.
To copy files to Catalyst store, go to Files tab, browse filesystem of server you want, select folder or file and right click -> Copy it.
Then browse your Catalyst store, right click and Paste the folder.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

nullifi wrote:At first I thought "This is horrible! It's all blurry!" then I realized it was just yet another DPI scaling bug with Windows 10 on my docked laptop. However, I will say that while I don't know what could be causing this, I do find it a bit harder to read and comprehend what I'm looking at. Maybe it's the colors? The flattened UI? I don't know..
We recommend using default DPI (100%) and default text/font size, indeed. Otherwise, you're likely to come across different issues related to UI reflection. Thanks.
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec » 3 people like this post

v.Eremin wrote:We recommend using default DPI (100%) and default text/font size, indeed. Otherwise, you're likely to come across different issues related to UI reflection. Thanks.
It can be frustrating when a vendor's response to "Your application is having problems with DPI scaling" is "we don't recommend using DPI scaling". If a user has a 4K monitor, what option does he or she have?

1. Use DPI scaling, which can cause problems with applications that don't properly support high DPI.
2. Lower the screen resolution, which will cause everything to blur.
3. Run at native resolution with 100% DPI and deal with text that is too small to read, which will cause eye strain.

In my opinion, it is unacceptable for an application to be released in 2016 that does not properly support high DPI. High DPI monitors are becoming more common. It should be mandatory for part of the development team and part of the QA team to have high DPI monitors and use DPI scaling. Applications should work correctly at both 100% DPI and scaled DPI when run on a modern OS like Windows 10.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, we perfectly realize that and in fact, new applications we have developed recently (such as Veeam Endpoint Backup) fully support DPI scaling, and are tested on high DPI monitors.

On the other hand, Veeam Backup & Replication UI is 10 years old and is based on technologies that do not properly support DPI scaling. With hundreds of dialogs (literally), it's a huge undertaking to re-write everything to modern UI technologies which support DPI scaling. That said, this is definitely on our radar - in fact, this is the "next big thing" for our UI team. And with v9, we've actually made the first step already (the new setup wizard supports high DPI).