Veeam backup and restore from remote site.

Availability for the Modern Data Center

Veeam backup and restore from remote site.

Veeam Logoby itlad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:10 am

Hello, great site :D , hope you can help me with problem below.

I've been tasked with migrating 30+ VM's from remote offices back to the main office.

The remote offices have a sinlge Vmware host with a free licensed version of ESXi4 installed
The main office has an ESXi5 essentials plus licensed 3 host cluster, backed by a SAN

I've deployed Veeam essentials backup server on a VM in main office, a Veeam backup proxy server in each remote office, a Veeam storage repository in main office, and a NAS which can be used as a Veeam backup repository in the remote site.

Due to poor WAN bandwidth and some very very large VM's Veeam replication is not suitable. :cry:
So I've chosen to take the first 'seed' backup of all remote VM's to NAS, then ship the NAS back to base.
Following that I will import the VM's into Veeam local repository, then run a 'delta' backup of remote VM's again, using the initial seed.

I'm only about to test this process now but has anyone actually done this successfully? Can anybody seen any flaws with this or give any advice? :?:

Also,on another note, can anybody tell me whether veeam backups up snapshots by default? :?:

Many thanks
itlad

Liked: never

Re: Veeam backup and restore from remote site.

Veeam Logoby Cokovic » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 am 1 person likes this post

You cant take a backup of your VMs with Veeam running on a free ESXi host cause the vStorage API is not available in the free version. Here are some more infos on that.
Cokovic
Expert

Liked: 56 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:04 am

Cokovic wrote:You cant take a backup of your VMs with Veeam running on a free ESXi host cause the vStorage API is not available in the free version. Here are some more infos on that.

Other than that, your scenario looks good.

itlad wrote:Also,on another note, can anybody tell me whether veeam backups up snapshots by default? :?:

No, snapshots are not backed up and get consolidated into a single flat file during backup. Moreover, in case of existing snapshots, CBT could sometimes not work for VMs that have one or more snapshots before backup start (VMware limitation). Before running backup and replication jobs, it is recommended to delete VM snapshots, so that the job can enable CBT on all processed VMs.

However, if you need to migrate VM along with its snapshots, you could use the VM Copy job to copy the entire VM folder to the target location and register it in vSphere.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 367 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby itlad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:55 am

Cokovic wrote:You cant take a backup of your VMs with Veeam running on a free ESXi host cause the vStorage API is not available in the free version. Here are some more infos on that.

Thanks,
My mistake anyway -I am new to this environment and was mistaken in saying we use the 'free' version of ESXi in the remote offices.
Turns out there are licensed copies there so this is no longer an issue
itlad

Veeam Logoby itlad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:01 pm

foggy wrote:However, if you need to migrate VM along with its snapshots, you could use the VM Copy job to copy the entire VM folder to the target location and register it in vSphere.

Hi Foggy,

There are a number of VM's with Snapshots, and those snapshots need to be migrated too because they're SW developers VM's and they use snapshots to roll back changes.
I've now looked into Veeam Copy job a bit more now and it seems to be the best option.
My only concern with the copy job is about capturing differences since the copy - can you take a differential backup of a source VM and apply it to a VM that has been copied, much like you'd do witha Veeam backup?

Thanks
itlad

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51 pm 1 person likes this post

VM copy jobs do not track changes, only backup and replication jobs do.
Vitaliy S.
Product Manager

Liked: 440 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby itlad » Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi again

I've now got a backup of all the remote site VM's taken to NAS :D
I have shipped that NAS back to base and configured it with an IP on the local LAN

I can see the backups on the CIFS share but when I go to restore it won't work because it's looking for the backup repository with remote network IP :roll:
If it was possible to change the shared folder path of the backup repository object this might not be such a problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks
itlad

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:10 pm 1 person likes this post

You can register the NAS as a new repository and then use the Map Backup function to point to the already existing backup files.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Evangelist @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam MVP

Liked: 382 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby itlad » Wed May 09, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks dellock6 - but the only place i can see to map the backup is when creating the backup in the first place.

Do you mean I should edit the backup job properties to point to new NAS object now?
itlad

Veeam Logoby itlad » Wed May 09, 2012 4:01 pm

itlad wrote:Thanks dellock6 - but the only place i can see to map the backup is when creating the backup in the first place.

Do you mean I should edit the backup job properties to point to new NAS object now?

Ah yes I figured it out now - and have a restore running ok..... Cheers :)
itlad

Veeam Logoby itlad » Wed May 09, 2012 4:05 pm

One other problem I'm having is that the VBM meta data file for one of the backups is blank, and 0KB in size (despite job completing ok)

Does this mean I cannot use these backups for restores? :roll:

That's 100GB of backups which I won't fit through the WAN connection,
and don't want to have to ship the NAS back to remote office again... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Surely there's another way of getting Veeam to recognise them? :idea:

itlad

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:37 pm 1 person likes this post

If you lost your VBM you can recreate it from scratch, ThomasMc (a great contributor of this forum) has wrote a cool powershell script in his forum:

http://vpowercli.wordpress.com/2011/12/ ... m-scratch/

Take a look at it!
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Evangelist @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam MVP

Liked: 382 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed May 09, 2012 11:58 pm 1 person likes this post

Just keep in mind that you cannot create VBM file from backup file set alone. This PowerShell script requires connection to Veeam server, and configuration database with the corresponding job still present. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 880 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby itlad » Thu May 10, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks Luca :D

I installed veeam powershell component and pasted the powershell commands in but am getting the errors below after I specify the VBK file :cry:
itlad

Veeam Logoby itlad » Thu May 10, 2012 11:10 am

Gostev wrote:Just keep in mind that you cannot create VBM file from backup file set alone. This PowerShell script requires connection to Veeam server, and configuration database with the corresponding job still present. Thanks!

Thanks Gostev

I actually ran powershell from the Veeam server itself, and the corresponding backup job still exists in Veeam, but I get the errors below :cry:
itlad

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication