Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
IDATAAB
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Wilson

Using Endpoint backups in a virtual lab?

Post by IDATAAB »

Any way to include Endpoint backups as a source to create a virtual lab for restore testing?

I can't see any way to do this and I would like to be able to restore my whole machine into a sandbox to verify backups.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Using Endpoint backups in a virtual lab?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

You might want to convert your machine to virtual and then test how it works.

Thank you.
IDATAAB
Influencer

Post by IDATAAB »

Hi- Not sure how I would do that - tips? Would I do a redirected restore to a local disk on my Veeam server as a VMDK, import it into my VMware inventory (leaving it powered off of course as it is already a production server), create a Veam backup of the powered off VM and then use it as a source from Infrastructure to populate my Application Group?

Any plans to include Endpoint backups as a source for SureBackup or Virtual Labs?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

You can place the resulting VMDK directly to your host. After that you can just setup the SureBackup proxy lab and place your fresh-converted VM inside that lab. This topic can give you some ideas how to perform the latter.

Running a VM from Endpoint backup in Surebackup Job is not that easy as it may seem due to drivers issues, however I remeber people talking about such possibility. If you'd like to see that feature you can create a separate "feature request" topic in the "Endpoint" forum so others can vote for it.

Thank you.
IDATAAB
Influencer

Post by IDATAAB »

I restored the server using convert to vmdk. Placing the VMDK in a datastore on a host. I don't see the vm i my inventory, It has no associated vmx files so I cannot import it. I created a Virtual lab and defined the host and datastore where I had exported my vmdk. Did not see any place anywhere that I would be able to "place my fresh converted vm inside that lab".

Sorry this so far is not going well.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Please try creating a new VM but don't create a new disk, instead use your converted .vmdk. That operation will create a VM so you should be able to import it.

Thank you.